Chapter 3. Iceland

He could hear someone knocking the wood door of his room. The sound felt so soft yet so firm, that the Icelandic boy knew exactly who could it be.

-Ice, open the door... -A soft, light voice spoke.

There was no reply.

-Ice... -The voice sighed, knocking again.

Iceland didn't want to hear his brother's begs. He buried his face between his knees, that were pulled up to his chest, in a fetal position, as he sobbed on his bed, next to his suitcase. He rubbed the velvet-like sleeve of his jacket against his teary eyes, drying the tears.

He stood up, as his legs shook slightly. He walked towards the door, slowly opening it a bit.

-What did you want?... -He sighed, eyebrows furrowing slightly, acting as he was never upset.

-Ice... -The Norge looked down at his own feet- Please don't worry. I can take care of myself. He won't hurt me.

-I know... -He looked away.

He looked away, embarrassed by his behaviour. He was acting just like a child. After all, Denmark was part of his "family", and had to trust him. Those thoughts made him lower his head, as a last, single tear ran down his cheek. He walked past his older brother, running to the Danish man, who stood in a corner, looking at Iceland.

-Iceland... -Denmark mumbled, surprised.

-...I-I'm sorry, Denmark... -He sighed. -I shouldn't have doubted of you...

The Dane smiled, trapping the boy in a choking hug.

-It's okey, Ice -He didn't call him "Icey", as he used to do to bug the boy.

Iceland struggled to get out the hug. Denmark cleaned his eyes with a tissue.

-Ice... You'll someday feel this too... It's called love, and it's impossible to change.

The Icelandic nodded, feeling more open-minded towards the Dane. He didn't want to act as childish as he had acted.

-I understand. -He said firmly.

Denmark smiled at him, letting him go. Iceland walked to his room again, smiling at his brother as he passed in front of him.

"Love" He thought "Love..." He looked through his wardrobe, carefully choosing what clothes to take for the trip, minding the temperature and season of China at the moment.

"How can he expect me to feel love?... Agh" He kept looking at his suits and formal clothes. "Everybody in the family seems to have found love... what will happen to me?"

He picked a few t-shirts and pants. He took a swimsuit and some jackets too. He sighed, trying to shake his thoughts off of his head. He folded his clothings to fit them in his suitcase, leaving room to a few magazines and his laptop. He also wanted to take a few snacks in his suitcase, to be able to eat something in his own. He took food and a few toys for Mr. Puffin. He wasn't sure how to take him to the airport without being caught, but he didn't want to leave him alone in the house for that long time. He stretched his arms over his head, tired from all the packing. Denmark's words still wandered around his mind. He frowned, not wanting to think about it. He grabbed his puffing, pulling him to his own lap. The boy was sitting on his bed, against the wall.

He liked to pet Mr. Puffin's soft feathers. It was nice to feel them, remaining so thin after centuries. Yes, centuries. Iceland had met Mr. Puffin a very long time ago, when Norway met him.

Nations have the power to keep an animal alive for eternity to be with them, if both the nation and the animal make a bond strong enough to never break.