Chapter 21. Chance

-Scottie...
-Don't call me that!
-Scotland, this is... what will happen to England?

They stared into the coffin. A young nation laid in there.
He was short, his hair was a girgerly blonde tone. His formerly rose cheeks were splattered with little freckles.
His beautiful blue eyes were now closed; his big smiled was erased.

His twin, the Republic of Ireland -now just Ireland, couldn't hold his tears back as soon as his gaze met his brother's body.

-It was his choice. He wanted to stay loyal to the old United Kingdom, England isn't just strong enough to keep him alive.

There was a silence. The three Kirkland siblings that remained together knew that Scotland was right, as much as it hurt to admit it.

Both England and North Ireland thought that the global crisis was just something that would eventually fade; of course, until the youngest of the Kirklands passed away.

-This is England's fault -the Scottish man went on.- He lead North Ireland to death, but he won't stop us anymore. We three will form the New Britain.

Wales and Ireland nodded solemnly, closing and sinking the black coffin into the Northern Irish sea.
-Slán, North. -They said goodbye.

The red-haired man's hand shook as he knocked on his brother's door.

Wales put a reassuring hand on his shoulder calmly, making sure that Ireland didn't tear up or frowned, holding him close to comfort him.

A few moments after, the door cracked open.
A brunette, Asian teenager looked up at them, his amberish eyes stained by thick tears.

As soon as the now youngest Kirkland, Ireland, identified him as Hong Kong, he pushed the Cantonese aside, fleeing into the house.
-Arthur!! -He called, holding back his tears.
-Ireland! -Wales widened his eyes, calling quietly.

Scotland held back a gasp, realizing what was happening.
-W-Where is England?
-H-His room! -Hong Kong let them in, running to England's room.

England looked up at Ireland, confused. He was half gone, apparently unfocused.
This broke Wales' stone heart, and made Hong Kong sob again.

-England -Scotland started, quietly looking into England's almost soulless eyes.
-Scotland...
-This... This has gone too far. I'm doing this for Ireland, he's been worried since someone's stubbornery lead his twin to death, -he emphasized sarcastically.

England's tired eyes widened.

-Arthur Kirkland, do you want to join the New Britain?

England's heart froze for a moment, ironically giving him life to overcome the shock.
His mind flooded with memories: North Ireland's death, his citizens's anger and demanding, and even his own agony.

Slowly, a smile appeared on his face.
-Of course... I had been waiting...

His siblings smiled as well, brighter or less bright. Ireland held England's left hand tightly, now crying in happiness.
Scotland chuckled shortly, happy to be united with England after all, and took out a contract.

-Sign here. I guess you don't have enough time to read it whole -he pointed at a blank space, handing a pen to him.

The man took the pen from his brother and signed. His sign was shaky and weak, yet firm and strong enough to be useful.

A beam of light was shot from the pen, slowly spreading up England's hand. The bright, yellow light slowly bathed him, covering his paler-than-usual skin and his almost dead eyes.