Chapter 24: Clipped Wings

Caelian's vision was blurry the next time he opened his eyes. Pain resonated throughout his entire body, making him wince as he buried his head into the crook of his arm. He paused at a familiar feeling. He was lying on something soft and warm, with something spread over him. A blanket? He was in a bed. How? When did he get there?

The burning feeling on his back intensified as he tried to sit up. He had been lying on his stomach, and the blanket slid off of him slightly as he got up. He flexed his wings, trying to-

Wait.

Why couldn' he flex his wings? No, it wasn't that he couldn't flex them. Why did the blanket slide down so easily as if it didn't catch on anything?

He stretched himself around, trying to peer at his back. He reached back with one of his arms, feeling for his wings. There was nothing there. Where did his wings go? No. No no no no no. He let out a shout as he jumped up out of the bed.

In his state of panic, Caelian hadn't even noticed Zephyr, who had been lying on the bed next to him. He was lying on his back, fast asleep. He jumped up at Caelian's shout. For a moment he forgot where they were, and sat there, drowsy and confused. Then he remembered. Seeing Caelian, he called out to him.

"Cae—"

Caelian launched himself into Zephyr's arms, much to the surprise of the water spirit. He trembled violently, tears falling from his eyes as he hyperventilated. Zephyr hugged Caelian tightly, pressing the side of his face against the top of his head.

"Shh, Cae," Zephyr said softly as he rubbed Caelian's upper back, just shy of where a pair of wings should have been.

"Where are my wings?" Caelian whined. "Where are they? What happened?"

The door was pushed open as three people rushed into the room. Evelyn and Damien were looking at Caelian with alarm. Caelian didn't recognize the woman that was with them.

"You're awake, thank the gods," the woman said as she rushed over to the bed. She had long, reddish brown hair that was tied up in a fishtail braid that hung over her shoulder. Her eyes were a jade green, and her skin was tanned from years of being out in the sunlight. She wore simple, unassuming clothes consisting of a green dress with a white apron thrown over the top of it, and brown boots.

"Are you all right? Is there any pain?" She asked.

"Where are my wings?" Caelian whined.

"Oh, honey, they retracted so they could heal," the woman said.

"They... what?" Caelian asked.

"They retracted," she said. Evelyn, Damien and Zephyr all looked at eachother.

"But they can't do that," Caelian said.

"Well, sure they can. All celestial spirits can retract their wings."

"How do you know he's a celestial spirit?" Damien asked suspiciously.

"Well, he had six wings, which is a trait of high ranking celestial spirits. Am I wrong?"

Damien frowned.

"Who are you?" Caelian asked after a short period of silence.

"My name is Zinnia," she said. "I found you and your friends out in the nearby hills. They helped bring you two here. You and your friend there were pretty badly injured, so I wanted to try and help.

Caelian spent a few moments taking in what Zinnia said. He looked over to Damien and Evelyn, before looking up at Zephyr.

"Are you okay?" he asked.