Chapter 2: The Eternal Forest

Nathaniel flew out from the leaves of the Great Tree and made his way down to the forest floor. The wind blew through the leaves, letting the sun peek through them as it slowly worked its way up into the eastern sky.

He flew down among the tree's roots, weaving through them as he searched for the hollow Caelian called his home. His home was under the roots, where they provided adequate protection from the elements. The moss and gigantic flowers that bloomed there provided excellent bedding.

Caelian slept soundly, curled up in the center of one of the human-sized flowers. Though he was down below the ground, light still reached him in plentiful amounts, dotting the area around him with the warm yellow sunshine. His wings were wrapped around him like a warm blanket, rustling with each breath.

 His wings were wrapped around him like a warm blanket, rustling with each breath

As soon as he found him, Nathaniel landed on top of his head. He didn't even begin to stir as the sprite jumped up and down, his weight barely noticeable.

"Caelian!" He called, sliding down his head and landing down in front of his face. "Caelian! Wake up! Come on, you lazy bird!

Caelian's wings rustled before slowly opening up and revealing the small boy they were protecting. He groggily blinked his azure blue eyes before letting out a yawn. His wings tucked themselves neatly against his back as he lifted his head.

"What is it, Nathaniel?"

"Wake up! It's time to go see Gaia!" Nathaniel exclaimed.

"Oh, is it?" Caelian asked with another yawn. "Is that all?"

"Um, yeah? She—Hey!" Nathaniel let out a shriek as Caelian plopped his head back onto the soft patch of moss he had been using as a pillow, causing Nathaniel to roll off into the roots. He huffed as he climbed his way back up, slapping his tiny hands dramatically against the large root as he pulled himself up, not bothering to use his wings for assistance.

"Okay, wise guy. No. You've had enough sleep! We're not doing this again! Time to wake up!" He emphasized the last two words as he pushed against Caelian's face, though it earned little reaction.

"But it's warm out, and I'm tired," Caelian said. "Let me sleep, Gaia won't mind if I see her later."

"Ugh, oh yes, I'm sure Gaia will appreciate her disciple being so lazy and neglecting his job. I mean, why take it seriously after all? It's not like you're the goddess' disciple or anything! Not like she needs help monitoring the barrier and taking care of the forest denizens! Nope! Not at all!"

Caelian cracked open an eye.

"Poor Gaia," Nathaniel continued," "Having someone so young and lazy as her disciple. Surely, her work is cut out for her. So busy regulating the forest's mana so, you know, the whole realm doesn't fall apart. But I guess she won't mind! Her disciple doesn't need to do his job, after all! I mean, for anyone else it'd be a great honor to serve her, but hey, if you're tired, go back to dreamland!"