Chapter 29: Sol

Caelian was feeling better by the time everyone had woken up. Zephyr stayed glued to his side, not wanting to leave him alone. Evelyn and Athena looked dazed, and Damien was giving Athena a dirty look after waking her up. They must not have liked whatever her deepest fear was.

Sol's dark spots were slowly beginning to fade. It appeared as though Mimzi's attempt to corrupt him had failed, likely due to the interruption. He sat glaring at everyone before him. He had been unaffected by Mimzi's fear spirit, and had watched the events unfold before him.

Sol slowly stood, and as he began to move towards Caelian, Athena came and stood before him, making him come to a halt.

"Don't you dare," she said defiantly. "He just saved you. Don't you dare hurt him."

"I am aware of what he's done," Sol said as he pushed Athena to the side. She followed after him as he walked over and stood before Caelian. Zephyr looked up at him with a glare. Caelian slowly lifted his eyes to meet Sol's. They were a deep azure blue, just like his own.

"Show me your corrupt light elemental," Sol commanded.

Caelian was surprised, and somewhat skeptical. As he looked at Sol questioningly, the god said, "Do it, before I change my mind."

The shadow elemental appeared next to Caelian, and it appeared reluctant to go to Sol. But Sol reached out and grabbed a hold of it, even as the lantern chimed and tried to struggle away from his grasp.

"I do this to repay a debt," Sol said solemnly. The glass on the elemental cracked, shattering into tiny pieces before mending itself. Dark purple turned into a brilliant gold, and clouds began to form around the lantern as a prismatic halo appeared around the lantern's center. Sol released the lantern and it floated down to Caelian, who could already feel like he was about to pass out.

"Now show me the corrupt remnants," Sol said. "And I will banish them."

"You... you can do that?" Caelian asked in surprise.

"Yes. Now, the dark elementals."

A myriad of voices suddenly erupted in the back of Caelian's mind. They were voices he didn't recognize, but one in particular stood out to him. It was Ysel's.

"Please don't get rid of us."

They were afraid. Where would they go after Sol banished them? What did that even mean? He could get rid of all of his negative emotions. He could just be happy again.

But negative emotions are important. Those words echoed through his mind, and he felt torn. He didn't want his negative emotions anymore. But were they important? Should he keep them? Why couldn't he have more time to decide? This should have been an easy choice, but why was he hesitating?

"Would... would I stop feeling negative emotions if they were gone?" Caelian asked.

"You would. It would be as it was before they were corrupt," Sol said.

Caelian's head was beginning to spin. He couldn't think. The voices in the back of his mind grew louder. They were begging him. His heart hurt.

"I... I'll keep them," he said before fainting.

Everyone looked at him in surprise, while Sol merely shook his head. "Foolish."

Zephyr gently picked Caelian up as he stood. Sol turned away from them.

"My debt is repaid. Now leave me. I tire. See that he leaves as soon as he awakens, Athena."

"But Sol," she said quietly. "He belongs here."