Chapter 32: In The Shadows

Evelyn was staring hard at Caelian and Zephyr. Specifically, at their interlocked hands. Her ears were perked up and alert, and she wore a dismayed facial expression. For a moment, Caelian was worried she didn't approve, but those fears quickly subsided when she let out a long whine.

"Evelyn missed it! Damien made Evelyn miss it!"

"Missed what?" Caelian asked.

"Confession!" She slid down the rock she was sitting on and down onto her knees. "Evelyn wanted to see!"

"Wait, what? You knew?" Caelian asked.

"Mhm! Very obvious."

"I..." Caelian could feel his temperature rising again.

"Have to say, I wasn't expecting it to happen out in the Lost Realms wilderness," Damien said.

"What, you were expecting it, too? Am I the only one who didn't know?" Caelian asked.

"Pretty much," Damien said. They smirked at Caelian's dismayed expression.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize," Caelian said as he looked up at Zephyr.

"It's fine," Zephyr said with a smile. "You didn't get the emotion of love back until just a little while ago, anyway."

"Bold of you to assume he'd have figured it out even if he had gotten the emotion back sooner," Damien said as they crossed his arms.

Caelian let out a whine.

"Anyway, I don't want you two getting all lovey-dovey and distracted," Damien said. "I mean it," they added when they saw Zephyr smirk.

"We won't," Caelian said with a pout. "We'll stay focused."

"Good," Damien said before they turned away. "Now come on."

Caelian followed after them, with Zephyr keeping pace alongside him. They weren't holding hands anymore, something that Caelian could tell Zephyr wanted to do, but Caelian agreed with Damien to some degree. He could focus on his relationship with him later, at a better time. He turned to give him a smile to tide him over, which practically melted Zephyr's heart.

Evelyn skipped past the two of them, following closer to Damien. She glanced back at them a couple of times, looking overly giddy.

As they walked, Caelian went back to admiring the nature around them. A luminescent butterfly flew past him, and he watched as it disappeared off into the pine trees. He could hear the loud sound of running water in the distance, and they eventually came upon a waterfall. Caelian paused as he observed it. It was giant, and flung a fine mist into the air that made him feel damp even from several yards away. Damien paid little mind to it as they carried on down the river.

Caelian could see Zephyr eyeing the water with interest. He couldn't help but grin to himself. Zephyr was cute when it came to water. But this water was probably too fast for a leisurely swim. Caelian was expecting Damien to lead them to a bridge, but was horrified when they jumped up onto a fallen tree and crossed the river. They turned and looked at the group expectantly.

Evelyn easily climbed up onto the tree and crossed its smooth surface, but Caelian hesitated. Seeing his worry, Zephyr softly said, "I'll save you if you fall, don't worry."

It offered him a little bit of comfort, but he'd rather not fall in the first place. He carefully heaved himself up onto the log, already nearly slipping on its wet surface. Zephyr frowned as Caelian gave a shiver before he carefully stood. He didn't have claws to dig into the wood like Evelyn did. How did Damien cross it so easily in boots? It must have been possible, at least. He carefully eased his way over, looking back when Zephyr got up onto the log with him.