Chapter 28: Eclipse

The phoenixes landed in front of the palace. They didn't have to be guided, and it was almost as if they could sense where the group needed to go. Caelian slid off of the bird before Zephyr followed. He gave the bird a pat, thanking it for helping them out. His eyes felt heavy. Maybe he could convince everyone to rest before they went to see Sol? If they were going to have to fight, it'd be better if he fought while not exhausted.

But he didn't even have the chance to ask if they could rest before he saw Athena hurrying towards them. She must have seen the phoenix in the distance. Caelian was immediately pulled into a tight embrace by Athena, who had tears in her eyes.

"You're all right! Oh thank the gods you're all right," she cried.

Caelian couldn't say he was the happiest to see Athena after what she did, but he felt bad seeing her cry like that. He didn't like being mad at her. But he couldn't forgive what she had done. He was surprised when she suddenly grabbed onto his shoulders and held him away from her.

"What were you thinking?!" she asked. "Why would you go see Sol?!"

"You knew, didn't you?" Caelian said. "You knew he'd have a reaction like that, so you lied about him being in a bad mood. Why couldn't you just tell me?!"

Athena frowned. She released her hold of his shoulders, fidgeting with her hands as she stared down at the ground. "It wasn't necessarily a lie, it was just... if it came to you, he'd always be in a bad mood." She sighed. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to protect you."

"So you knew I was half human?" Caelian asked.

"Yes, I knew," Athena admitted as she nervously twirled her hair around her finger. "Apollo had told me when I got to meet you as a baby. I just...I didn't think you should know. People would treat you differently."

"People already treat me differently, Athena," Caelian said. "If I'm being honest, before I might have agreed with you. I wouldn't have wanted to know that I'm half human. But I'm okay with it now."

Athena smiled. "I'm glad to hear that. Your dad loved your mom, Caelian. He gave up everything to be with her."

"I know," Caelian said. "But... Now I need to talk to Sol again."

"You'll do no such thing," Athena snapped. "He almost killed you, Caelian. Are you mad?!"

"I have to get my elemental purified, Athena!" Caelian exclaimed. "If I have to fight him then so be it!"

"You're being foolish," Athena said. "You're no match for him. What even makes you think he'd purify your elemental even if you did win? What if he doesn't? What then?"

Caelian frowned. "I have to try."

Athena sighed. "I can tell I'm not going to be able to stop you. But at the very least, rest first. It's late. It will give me time to think of something that can help you, as well."

"That's fine, I was hoping to be able to sleep," Caelian admitted. "Damien, come with me. I'll make sure nothing happens," he said as he side-eyed Athena.

Athena frowned. "About that, I—"

"If you're planning to try and apologize, save it," Damien said. "I don't care what any six-wing has to say to me."

"... Understable," Athena said. "But regardless, I'll ensure your safety for the remainder of your stay."

Damien rolled their eyes, while Caelian frowned. "I'm sorry, Athena. I don't trust you on that."

Athena nodded. She said nothing as Caelian and the others walked around her and entered the palace.

"Are you all right?" Zephyr asked softly when they were out of earshot.