Chapter 33: Betrayal

Caelian awoke in a blue forest. He lay still for a long time before slowly pushing himself up. He looked around. It was a familiar sight. He knew where he was. But he couldn't find it in himself to care.

"Caelian..." The voice rang out, echoing through the trees. "Caelian, can you hear me?"

"I can," Caelian said. He turned when something stepped out from the brush.

It was a beast with a long, serpentine body. Beige fur with blue stripes covered it. Several sets of horns adorned its lizard-like head. A white mane like a lion's surrounded its neck, slowly blending into its body. Numerous feathered wings lined its back. It's legs were strong and muscular, the front having paws with long claws while the back were feathered with hooves. It's tail was long and slender, with a tuft of white fur at the end.

It walked up to Caelian, who only stared at it. He felt no fear or awe. Though, his eyes felt strangely drawn to it.

"I never thought it'd come to this," the beast said.

"You're the Dreamer," Caelian said. It wasn't a question. He said it very matter-of-factly, even though it wasn't something he could be certain of.

The beast nodded. "This is the form I've chosen to take."

Caelian merely nodded. The Dreamer let out a sigh.

"I'm loath to intervene in my creation, but It's time to right my wrongs."

"Is it?" Caelian asked.

"It is."

"What will you do?"

"Something I should have done since the beginning, but I was a fool," the Dreamer said.

Caelian watched as the beast walked past him, disappearing into the forest.

"Retrieve your elementals, Caelian. Absorb the gemsouls and summon me."

***

Caelian woke to the sound of shouting. He blinked open his eyes to see Evelyn leaning over him. Her face showed relief, and as Caelian sat up, she hugged him. Caelian saw that they were back outside of the cave, in the forest that surrounded it. Crickets could be heard from somewhere, and fireflies buzzed past him, offering light in the shadows. He turned his attention to the shouting.

Zephyr was in Damien's face, wearing an expression he had never seen on him before. It was pure rage. Damien was glowering at him, but remained silent.

"I can't fucking believe you! After everything he's gone through, how much he's helped you! Your whole plan was to deliver him to Thanatos!" Zephyr said.

"He can get new elementals," Damien mumbled. "Mimzi Can't."

"How do you know that?! Do you think Sol would give him a new elemental?! He hates him!"

"So what, are you just angry because your little boyfriend can't love you anymore?"

Zephyr punched them in the face. They staggered backward, before wiping the blood from their nose. Zephyr glared at them challengingly. They took the challenge, hitting him back square in the jaw. Before the two of them had the chance to start using their elemental abilities, a blaze of fire separated them, surprising them both.

"Stop!" Evelyn said, standing between them. Tears were in her eyes, but she looked determined. "Stop fighting! Not the time!"

Caelian watched the scene with disinterest. He thought back to the dream he had. Get the soulgems back. That must be what Thanatos took out of him. But how was he supposed to do that without his elementals? He couldn't. It was pointless. He might as well give up.