Chapter 23: Back North With Force

I arrived at the edge of the forest and a large section of the trees were highlighted in red. I switched the interface to continuous firing mode and started cutting a path through the trees. I noticed that as I was cutting, the trees started growing again almost immediately so I would have to cut the path, then go down into the trees, activate the beacon and get out again before the trees sealed me off.

                I cut a straight line to the last beacon, then exited the interface ship the same way I got into it and continued into the forest, running as fast as I could to the beacon. This one wasn’t receiving any power so I had to power it up first, then I fired the laser at the satellite in this dimension to give the satellite more power. I then proceeded back through the trees, which were now almost completely sealing the path back. I jumped through a small gap in the trees just before it sealed and started panting for air.

                -Holy shit.

                I started back into North Forest along the path I had taken to get into South. I passed the cabin and was on my way into the clearing when I noticed an energy barrier blocking my path. I went up to the cabin to try to knock on it but there was no answer. I waited a few seconds and tried it again, still nothing.

                “I knew that suit you’re wearing the second I saw you and you didn’t think I would notice? How pathetic.”

                I turned around to see myself with the same armor I’m wearing right now, Talons at the ready.

                -I don’t want trouble, just let me pass back into my dimension.

                “You don’t get it do you?”

                He started slowly walking up to me. I walked down off the porch of the cabin and we met in the center.

                “There can be only one.”

                 He tried to drive his Talons into my chest only to be stopped by me because I knew what he was going to do.

                -We have coexisted this long, why can’t we continue to coexist?

                “Because I don’t like you, that’s why.”

                He laughed manically.

                “I bet you still don’t even know who you are either!”

                He laughed again, evilly.

                “You’re a pathetic loser and you will always be one step behind me.”

                He activated a second form of his Talons and jumped backwards. He then held his hand out so all his fingers were pointing straight at my neck.

                “Say goodbye to the world, Kessler.”

                All at once, I saw his Talons coming straight for me and just before they hit my neck, an Unknown appeared in front of me, catching the Talons and stopping them from hitting me. I walked around the Unknown and noted the look of shock on my doppelganger’s face.

                “WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU BETRAY ME? LIE TO ME?”

                The Unknown used some kind of magic to send the Talons back into my double’s hand, and deactivated the Talons.

                “I did not betray you, nor did I lie to you. I merely stated that you will one day seek revenge on someone you do not know so well. This was always meant to happen this way.”

                -Thank you.

                “You are welcome, Chris. Now, get back to North. The dimension will shut shortly so you do not have much time.”

                He waved his hand and the force field blocking the clearing disappeared. I walked past my opposite self and into the clearing. I read the sign, which said North, and then turned around. Like last time, the path behind me had gone. I turned back around and the path out of the forest appeared. I left the forest and it started quickly decaying. The trees fell over one by one until the entire forest was dead. I saw the Beacon on this side sitting where it should be. I walked over to it and activated the laser, which connected to the satellite and signaled the ready.

                -Well, that’s that.

                I started toward the Hentu base to finish preparations for the Teranor invasion.