Sixteenth

She never let go of my hand. 

Even when we entered a sitting room with Reeve and Jay in it.

Thus explains the glare that could send me six feet below the ground courtesy of her white haired uncle. 

Jay just raised an amused brow. 

“What is it that you wanted me for, uncle?” Anya asked as she led us to a love seat in front of her uncle. Jay seated on our side.

“I see that you’ve gotten comfortable.” The way his eyes seemed to drill into me made me want to prefer being encased in ice than face him. 

Reeve is an arsehole.

An extremely powerful progenitor, yes. 

But an areshole nonetheless. 

“Uncle, I would appreciate it if you continue this conversation without underlying death threats.” Anya deadpanned and I think I heard Jay snicker in amusement. 

“Very well.” He sighed as if this was a complete hassle to him. “Sullivan, do you know a Javier?” 

I blinked. 

“Who the fuck is Javier?” 

Three heads tilted to the side in contemplation. A pair of sapphire eyes and two pairs of identical emerald orbs were scrutinizing me. Studying me as if I were a complex algorithm. 

“He’s not lying.” Anya and Jay both said and Reeve let out an irritated scoff. 

“Did you know that every vampire has a distinct signature?” Reeve asked. I shook my head. “You’ve been a vampire for more than three centuries and you didn’t know that you left something to trace in every mind you’ve coerced?”

“A mental fingerprint?” I disbelievingly asked. We don’t even leave regular prints. Even our hair is useless when tracing DNA because most vampires are considered dead in human records.

“A mental fingerprint.” Jay clarified. 

“Not all those signatures can be detected. It’s really dependent on the strength of the senescence and the proficiency of the reader.” Anya added. She seemed vexed about this but I’m not really one to pry into her business unless it’s for my benefit. 

Or I just feel like a git. 

It’s all about the atmosphere and my mood. 

No, men also have mood swings. 

I don’t care if you think it’s weird for my age.

Sue me.

“I’m sure you’re well aware that you developed your senescence decades after you were turned, yes?” Jay asked, albeit a bit rhetorically.