Tenth

“I miss you, Angelo.” Anya said and questions wracked my mind on just how close these two were if it got to the point that she was speaking during his funeral and not his brother.

“You all know who I am but I think you’re all confused as to why I’m the one standing here before you and not Blaine.” She began. “Angelo is a dear friend. We’ve known each other longer than time some of you have even existed.”

Murmurs scattered again. 

“He was a good friend, companion, and sire.” She added and there was a hint of longing in her voice. Her eyes were half lidded and her fingers continued to graze patterns only she could see on the headstone. 

“He had a strict hand yet he was fair. He was a Progenitor and that earned him a seat on the Concilum after my uncle and aunt deemed him worthy. He was wise and thoughtful. He kept a lot to himself like the rest of our kind but he always knew what to say every time.”

The way she spoke dropped hints that there was something more going on but she kept saying Andrew was nothing but a gentleman.

Until I heard her say this.

“He took care of me.” I felt Jay stiffen at that.

“She’s not going to tell his line, dear.” Vayne reassured from her seat.

“When I was still part of the Acquisition, Angelo was the only one who was brave enough to approach me. He was my mentor and considering that he spent a few centuries longer in the Acquisition than me, I admired him.” The redhead started, her face going softer as the words seemingly flowed pass her lips.

“We met once again as members of the Concilum after a considerable amount of time. However, the roles were reversed.” A smirk flashed before she continued.

“He was adept at adjusting to the people around him and he had a pleasing personality. I didn’t really do much other than to give him answers every now and then to his concerns about how the council worked.” Anya fondly added, her head tilting to the side just a bit. 

“I don’t understand why someone killed him. The only reason would be to have a claim over his line but the culprit unexpectedly was unaware that my dear Angelo left a successor. He kept so tight lipped about it that not even the successor knew about it.” She kept speaking despite the tension that settled over the rest of the line. 

I was as still as a statue from what I’m hearing. 

“There is a reason why the Acquisition is present at this gathering and no, it is not for my safety and the rest of the Progenitors.”

The temperature around us took a drastic drop and I discovered that she had frozen the grass.

Each blade was coated in her ice and everything that made contact with the now frozen vegetation, immediately got stuck to it.

Exclamations of distress echoed throughout the field.