Chapter 13 (makeing the best)

Steve's POV:

After I stepped out of the cold shower, I quickly wrapped a towel around my waist and rummaged around my closet, looking for something to wear. It's a good thing I took a shower, because it did really cool me down. although, I'm still a little agitated.

What should I wear? Is this some kind of fancy thing or is it casual? It must be casual. I mean if it was in the 40's it should be now right?
*knock knock knock* damn she must be here. I'm not even dressed yet.
"Hold on nat I'll be there in a minute! I just need to find something to wear."
Nat knocked on the door again.
"Just let me in I'll pick your clothes for you!"
I opened the door to see her mid length wavy red hair and sparkling green eyes. Just looking at her made me feel like nothing was wrong in life and I had the rest of the day to just talk about pointless weird things for hours.
"Fine...wait why are you here so early?"
Natasha Walked inside my room and turned towards me as I closed the door.
"Well I have bad news...but that doesn't really matter you seem a little uneasy. is everything going alright Steve?"
I was surprised
"Tasha how did you kno-"
"Steve I can read you like a book."
We both laughed. Natasha walked over to the couch and plopped down on the cushion.
"Sit down. Ok tell me all about it. By the way nice pink towel."
I tried to hide myself from getting red.
"Oh look now you made me embarrassed. Shouldn't I change now...or something ."
she crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.
"Grow up Rogers it's not like it matters, it's only me."
I Sat down next to her and put my arm around the backrest. She scooted closer to me and put her hand on my bare shoulder. I looked at her small Soft hands. I felt a chill of nervousness go down my spine into my stomach.
"Ok you go first because my bad news isn't that bad."
As my elbow was propped on the headrest of the couch I rested my head on my hand and looked down at Natasha's feet. I swallowed hard.
"I'm sorry but... we can't be partners any more."
Natasha fluttered her eyes and slid farther back into the black leather couch.
"...Oh, I didn't quite expect that."
She licked her lips and took a deep breath. I sat still and put my hand in on her knee. I hated to see that she wasn't happy. whenever she's unhappy or sad it always kind of leaves and emptiness inside me. Her voice slightly cracked.
"Why?"
My emotions were stale.
"It's not your fault. It's not any of our fault. fury recruited another agent and he needs training and apparently he wants more agents like us."
Natasha showed a half smile.
"Hey,So we're just that Good."
I looked at her a sad excepted smile and back at her. She shrugged and looked across the room.
"Well I might as well tell you the other bad news."
I felt as if my head was weighing me down to the floor.
"What could it be now?"
"Stark posted the picture. I almost stopped him, but within minuets it was already trending. You aren't mad are you?"
I shook my head and repositioned myself so I could be facing her.
"Of course not, I'm mad at stark though. It's not like the media will believe it anyways or even judge us."
Natasha pushed back a strand her red wavy hair and exhaled.
"Of course the media wouldn't be mad at you your 'America's golden boy' and I'm just a-a lier, a disgrace. Do you know people believe I belong in a penitentiary?"
It hurts me to see her give herself such a hard time. I want to tell her a thousand times that she's a hero. I've seen her put her life on the line for almost every life on this earth, but of course the son of a bitch himself, Ivan tore her to pieces and put her back together as a weapon. it's to bad she was so damaged and emotionally destroyed to realize Ivan was manipulating her to do things she never wanted to do. The sad thing is that I haven't even heard the worst of what he had done to her.
"Your not in a penitentiary, because the people know we need you. you're strong, smart, and courageous and-and I'm a man out of time...but without you I would be lost in this world."
Natasha didn't break eye contact with me.There was a long silence between us. I didn't notice, but some how we were leaning closer and closer causing an awkward, but somewhat satisfying tension.