3

"The sex was enjoyable...but is that all you think about?"
    — General Babalola Halal

xXx

The past two days brought her more happiness than she had felt in a very long time. It has been so long since her mother looked her in the eye and recognized her, but in these two days, she thoroughly enjoyed the soft smiles on her mother's face when she looked at her, and the fond inflection in her voice when she said "Oma, Ada m."

Right now, as she packed her bags ready to go back to her life in Abuja, she felt a thick cloak of sadness settle over her. She wished she could stay here with her mom like the old days, but work was calling.
She had duty tomorrow, and without work their little family would be torn apart by four million Naira left of debt.
She had no choice.
She had to leave Oma, and go back to Des.

"Are you ready? Your cab is here." She looked up to see Mrs. Funsho by the doorway, a soft smile on her face.
Des nodded, and strolled towards her, pulling the box along.

"I'm ready ma," she answered, looking up at the woman with an appreciative smile. It was obvious the woman was doing her best in taking care of her mum. Des had noticed that her mom was looking really healthy, and well taken care of.

As they both walked to the living room, Des thanked her. "Thank you so much ma. For everything," she said honestly.

"Don't thank me." The woman laughed. "I love your mom."

Des wanted to respond, but they already reached the living room, and her attention was now drawn to her mom who was perched silently on the couch.

"Mom," she said in Igbo. "I'm ready to leave."

The woman looked at her long and hard, and for a moment Des thought the regular bouts of forgetfulness was upon her again. But to her relief, the woman smiled.
"Nwa di utoor," she called fondly. "Do you have to go? I hardly see you anymore."

Tears stung her eyes, and Des quickly chuckled to quell the bitter feeling. She wished she could stay here and never go back, but real life was calling, and her mother knew nothing about it.

"I'm sorry mommy." She leaned forward to kiss her mother's cheek. "I'll come by more often, I promise."

"God be with you," she prayed, laying a hand on Des' head. "Go safely."

"Thank you mom." The cab driver blasted his horn at that moment and Des quickly rushed to her feet.
"Bye Mrs. Folusho." She waved at the smiling woman, and finally stepped out of the house.

xXx

Usually, it took about ninety minutes to get to Abuja from Felele, but it's been over three hours and the bus had not even left Kogi state yet.

They were on the Interstate connecting Kogi to Abuja, but the traffic was so terrible, it felt like the bus was not moving at all. To make things worse, the standstill came with a horrible heat that made Des feel like her skin was slowly melting off her bones.

She was seated in the back row of the bus, with two other passengers. Thankfully, they were not fat so she didn't feel cramped on top of every other thing.
At that moment, someone coughed into the still air of the stagnant vehicle, and in frustration Des thought back to her conversation with Ify again.
Maybe her friend was right. Maybe a car was in order.

"Aminu!!" She heard the driver shout and looked up to see him calling his colleague who was on the opposite lane of the interstate. Unlike theirs, the lane was very free, and the driver couldn't stop completely. He slowed his vehicle, and peeked his head out the window.