18

"You don't want to make an enemy of me."
    — MG Damola

Des twisted and turned on the bed, frustrated. It seemed like the pattern of the last month was about to repeat itself, and she wasn't in the mood for it. She wasn't a home-body, because all her life, she's had to go into the streets to survive. She liked being outside, but the General seemed to derive some kind of joy in having her stuck at home. If she was having sex with him, it would have been bearable, ecstatic, even. But she never saw him at all.

With what happened last night, one would think he had plans for her today. However, when she woke up, she went straight downstairs, only to meet Mohammed leaving the house. He had told her the General didn't even sleep in the premises. That jerk! He brought her home and dipped. To make matters worse, Adeiza also had to run some errands. Right now, she was the only one in the entire apartment.

She had taken the bold step to call the General, but she dialed the number he had used in calling her a few days before, and it suspiciously said the number didn't exist. She would go crazy in this apartment, very soon. Just as she fluffed her pillow and turned the other way, her phone rang. She sat up and reached for it on the bedside table. It was George. Anger surged through her, and at first, she contemplated ignoring the call. But on second thought, she wanted to know why he stood her up. Except his traveling out had changed him, George was a complete gentleman. Plus, he always had a soft spot for her, so he would never deliberately do something like that. Or will he? She was about to find out.

She hit accept and put the phone to her ear with an attitude. "Yes?"

"Oh, Des. I am so sorry, Des. Forgive me."

"What happened?" She screeched. "I called you all through, until I could no longer reach you."

"There was traffic when I left the house, so I was starting to run late," he explained. "I panicked because I know how you are, so when the traffic cleared up, I ran a red light, which got me into an accident."

"What?" Her body flew off the bed. "An accident?"

"Yes. I'm in St. Mark's hospital. Through the night, I was in serious pain. I'm fine now, the doctors said I might be discharged today."

"St. Marks? Is it the one along Awolowo?" Des asked, climbing down the bed. She ran to her wardrobe and picked out jeans.

"Yes, that's the one." He paused. "Des, don't worry yourself. I know you have to be at work," he added. "I know how strict Eruku can be."

"Please, forget about him. I'll be there." She hung up before George could argue further. She slipped her jeans on, and realized she didn't have any decent top. All her outfits were lewd, and usually, she liked that. But common sense told her she couldn't wear anything like that to a hospital. She was starting to panic, when she heard footsteps coming up the hall and froze. She knew it wasn't the General, and it scared her because she was the only one at home with the gateman downstairs. Everyone knew he hated her.

A knock sounded at the door and she threw a singlet on. "Des?"

She almost sagged with relief when she heard Adeiza's voice. She rushed to the door  and pulled it open. "You scared me," she said. "I thought I was home alone."

"You were home alone," he smiled. "I just arrived. I'll be leaving again soon, though, so I decided to come check on you."

"Thank you."

"Hey, are you going somewhere?"

"Yes. To the hospital."

"Oh." He nodded. "I guess I'll see you later?"