28

"I don't like her. She gives me a negative vibe."
— Ify.

When Des woke up the next morning, the space beside her was empty. She sat up, listening to hear whether the General was in the bathroom, but only silence greeted her. She left the room and went downstairs to check, but he wasn't in the living room, nor was he in the kitchen. Pouting, Des returned upstairs and laid back on the bed while picking up her phone and pulling up his number to call him. On a last-minute whim, she decided to do a video call instead. The phone rang for a few seconds, and just when Des was about to hang up, he picked up.

The screen was blank until the luxurious roof of a car appeared on screen. Des was momentarily confused until she heard the General's cool voice. "Hi."

Des laughed. "Why am I seeing the roof of your car?"

He paused. "What do you mean?"

"Why can't I see your face?" She asked. "Why am I seeing the car roof instead?"

"How can you even see the car roof?" The confusion in his voice made Des burst into another fit of laughter. "Are you watching me? How can you see the car roof, Chioma?"

"Pick up your phone," she said, laughing.

Des heard a shuffle, and suddenly, his confused face appeared. She laughed at how low his brows dipped when he saw her on screen.

"What is this, Chioma?"

Des was laughing so hard it was almost impossible to speak. "It's a video call."

"I know it's a video call," he looked irritated, his eyes narrowed. "I don't like it."

"You've never done it before?" She asked.

"No. It's invasive. Hang up."

"Come on." Des pouted. "I miss you."

His eyes narrowed even further, and he turned the camera away from himself. Again, Des was looking at the car roof. Somehow, she wasn't even offended. "Why are you still in my bed?"

"I just woke up," she answered. "Where are you off to?"

There was a long pause. "I'm going to pick up my friend."

Des sat up suddenly, and as if reading her mind, he added. "Not Dan."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "I'll be hanging out with some friends today too."

She thought he would argue, but he didn't. "I've got to go," he said.

Des sighed sadly. "Okay."

Another long pause. "What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Mohammed will be there with you shortly; he'll take you where you want to go."

"Okay."

"You've got money?"

"I—"

"That card with you," he said. "There's money in it. Don't get stranded."

"Thank—" the phone beeped, hanging up before she could thank him. As soon as her call with him ended, her phone began to ring. It was Winnie.

Winnie had called throughout yesterday, but Des had been too embarrassed to pick up. She had blown Winnie off without any explanation; she wondered why the girl kept calling.
Swallowing her embarrassment, Des picked up the call.

"Hello, Winnie."

She expected yelling or an angry tirade, but Winnie's voice was the exact opposite. "Des, are you okay? You stood me up yesterday without an explanation."