42

"Damola, why do you have a dead body in the house?"
    — General Babalola.

"I'm not going anywhere with you, Baba. I'm terminating our contract."
    — Des

When it was exactly six a.m., Des sat up in bed. There was no point tossing and turning because sleep obviously wasn't coming. She had cried so much that there were no more tears left. She felt heartbroken, overwhelmed and alone. More alone than she had ever felt in years.

She could not wrap her head around what happened yesterday. She was in the dark and didn't know how to get out. There were so many questions.

Why did someone try to prank her using her mother?

Who was that person?

How did the General know how to get to her? And most importantly, how did he know where she was headed? Because when she got into the car with Mohammed, he told her the MG was handling it. That means they knew.

She would ask the General but she was suddenly afraid of him. After yesterday, she didn't know where they stood with each other.

"I cannot baby you right now. I need you away from me. Fuck! I need you away from me. Get away from me."

It was the harshest thing the General had ever said to her by far, and she had a hard time getting over it. She needed him right now. She wanted to be in his arms, to experience his comfort, and yet, he had told her in explicit terms that she was on her own.

Get away from me. 

Her phone was on the bed stand and she reached for it, dialing Mrs. Funsho. She didn't want to scare the woman, but she wanted to ensure her mother was really safe.

Mrs. Funsho picked up on the first ring. "Chioma?" The woman sounded so worried, Des almost cried again. She felt as selfish as Mohammed described her yesterday. She didn't need to worry this woman for no reason.

"Chioma? Is everything alright?"

"Yes," Des answered. "Everything is alright, ma. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Is it even six a.m. yet? I'm worried. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," Des laughed. "Don't mind me. I just wanted to hear your voice."

"My voice?"

"Yes, ma."

Mrs. Funsho laughed. "Thank you. I'm fine. Your mom is fine, too. You know I'll call you if there's something wrong."

"I know. Thank you, ma. For everything."'

Mrs. Funsho sighed. "You're an amazing daughter, Chioma.  Promise me you'd never forget that."

Tears slipped down her face. "I won't. I promise."

"Good. Let me go and check on your mom, alright?" Mrs. Funsho said. "I had to leave the room to speak to you so I won't wake her up."

"Okay, ma. I'll talk to you later."

When Des hung up, she still felt a heavy weight on her shoulders and she realized she would not feel peace until she had resolved her issues with the General. Yet, she didn't know how to.

He hurt her, and she didn't want to speak to him. But he had answers to the questions rattling in her head and she wanted them. She laid back on the bed, wondering how to navigate her emotions.

He was disappointed in her, maybe that's why he said all those things last night. He probably didn't mean them. She would go to him again today and they would resolve it.