20

"You sound foolish."
    — General Babalola

It's been three days since she'd last seen the General, and Des missed him greatly. It was surprising because whenever he was around, it wasn't like they were best friends or anything. They could hardly have a conversation without it blowing over the top. She tossed and turned, wondering how to fill her time, but nothing clicked. On a burst of courage, Des decided to call him. She picked up her phone and pulled up his contact. She cringed at the "General" he saved his name with and immediately edited it to "Babalola".

She sat up on the bed, staring at the contact for a long time. Will it ring? Was it a correct number? Deep down, she knew the General was above misleading her with a wrong number but the mere thought of having this access to him was unexplainable. Her courage started to dwindle and Des immediately hit the "dial" button. Just before it started to ring, she hung up the call. Nah, she couldn't do it. Her palms had broken into a sweat, and she could feel her head starting to pound. She has never been this anxious over a man before. She flung her phone to the side and buried her face in her pillow.

"What is wrong with you, Des?" She mumbled. "You shouldn't be doing this at all..."

Her phone started to ring and she reached out to grab it, thinking it was George. They had talked briefly these past few days, and he had promised to call when he felt much better. However, when she picked up the phone, it was Babalola calling.

"Shit." Her stomach suddenly rumbled and she felt she might excrete on herself. She knew it was just nerves and she hated herself for it. She had given this man so much power over her, and she didn't know how or when it happened. "Relax Des," she murmured and picked up the call.

"Hello."

There was a slight pause before his voice drifted over to hers. "Hi."

"Uhh." Des cleared her throat. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to flash you. It's D-Des...uh..Chioma." Shit.

Another pause. "I know."

He knew? Des' mouth dried up. While her brain tried to process coherent thoughts, he waited patiently on the other line. She didn't know her call went through, otherwise she would have been practicing what to say to him. Now that he was breathing and listening on the other end, she was too flabbergasted to think. After what felt like a long time, Des said, "I was calling to let you know I'm leaving the house. I want to go to my place and be with my friend, Ify, for a few days."

He paused. "Okay."

"Uhh...okay. Bye." Des hung up the phone. She stayed frozen for a few seconds before flinging herself back on the bed. "Shit, Des, you're so dumb," she cried. She immediately sat up and dialed Ify. Now that she told him she would be leaving the house, she had to leave the house. Ify picked on the first ring.

"Hi babes."

"Ify, how're you?" Des said. "Are you home?"

"Not yet," Ify answered. "But I'm leaving in five minutes, I'll be home in twenty."

Yes! "I'm on my way home. I'll be staying for a few days."

Ify paused, then laughed. "This one you're coming home. Are you sure everything is okay?"

Des laughed with her. "Everything is fine. I'll see you soon. Alright?"

"Alright, Des.  Can't wait to see you. I'm getting takeouts. Would you like rice?"

"Yes, thank you babes."

"You're welcome." Ify hung up.

Des immediately climbed down the bed and walked to the closet. She didn't really feel like leaving because this place was a luxury. But seeing Ify was enough incentive to get her going. She dragged on black shorts and a white tank top before packing her handbag. She still had clothes over at her place so there was no need to pack luggage.