17

"In this business, the luxury of love is one thing we cannot afford, no matter how much money we have in our pockets. You will put her life in danger if you continue to tread this path."

    — Damola

"The hospital fees for your mom is five hundred and fifty thousand," Mrs. Funsho said. "Prices for foodstuffs have also increased because the last time I sent someone to the market, we couldn't buy much," the woman explained, silently communicating to Des that she needed to add some money to the foodstuff cash allocation. Des sighed, but not in frustration. She had enough money to settle their bills, plus change.

"Don't worry ma," she answered. "I'll send the money right now. I know you have needs too, so I'll add some for you, I really appreciate you ma. You're a godsend to this family."

"No," the woman countered. "You are. I don't know how your mom would have survived without you. You're a good daughter." Des' throat constricted, especially since this was coming after her self depreciation last night.

The call ended, and she went straight to her calculations. Today, she would be free from her father's creditors, and for that she was grateful. Her phone rang just as she opened her bank app. It was George. She declined the call in annoyance, and went ahead to send the money to Mrs. Funsho. Winnie was right. George stood her up, and it was infuriating.

A call came in again, and this time, it was Ify. Des picked it up with a smile. "I know, I know," she said as soon as she answered the phone. "I have a lot of explaining to do."

"You're damn right," Ify fired. "Where are you? Why aren't you home? You're not at work either."

"The General came to pick me up last night," Des said, unable to keep the smile off her face. It wasn't like she was excited or anything, she didn't even know why she was smiling. There was a pause on the other end for a few seconds, until Ify spoke again. "The General?" Her friend echoed.

"Yes."

"Wow, I thought the contract ended."

"I thought so too, until he pulled up on me."

"He must really like you," Ify said. "Or maybe he realized he didn't get enough the first time."

The General had said something like that, but Des wasn't about to let Ify know that. "Maybe," she drifted. "I'm ready for whatever he brings. He's really good anyways."

"Alright, I better get back to work," Ify said with a laugh. "We will still have this conversation, and I'm still mad at you."

Laughing, Des bade her goodbye and hung up. Now alone, she started to think about how her day would go when she heard a knock. Her heart started to hammer as she said, "Come in."
However, to her greatest disappointment, it was Adeiza that walked into her room, not the General.

"Des!" He looked really happy to see her, and it brought a smile to her face. "Where have you been? I just woke up one day and you were gone!" He sat on her bed, a wide smile splitting his face.

"I had to go do something really quick," Des lied.

"I heard you come in last night, but I couldn't come see you because the General was in."

"He's no longer around?" She asked, feeling her heart drop.

"He's not," Adeiza answered offhandedly. "Will you like breakfast?"

She wasn't hungry yet, but Adeiza was so excited, she had to indulge him. "Not yet, but tell me something. How are you? Did your girl offer any explanation for what happened?"