37

"And Mohammed, I want more eyes on Chioma. If anything happens to her, I'll dig up your mother's grave and bury you in it."
    — General Babalola

"I'm going back to Lagos because I'm tired of running around in circles with you while my territory remains unguarded. When you're ready to stand on business, you call me."
    — Major General Damola

"Baba, you've always trusted me, but today you didn't. You didn't trust me to handle the situation. You undermined me."
    — Major General Damola

"Are you coming?" Ify asked. "Because I can never tell with you. Since you met the General, you hardly have time for me."

Des laughed. "Where is this coming from? You're the one who's always busy at Safari. Duh."

Ify gasped. "Forgive me. I don't have a wealthy General to get me out of this hell hole," she laughed.

"You know that's not what I mean," Des said. "And guess what?"

She had already changed into a casual outfit and was ready to leave home. It's been forever since she hung out with her friends, and she couldn't wait. Maybe they could go home together; she hadn't been there in ages.

"What?" Ify said fully.

"Where do we meet?"

There was a pause on the other end. "You're coming?"
Des laughed. "Yes. I'll never disappoint you. You've wanted this for years."

Ify squeaked. "Yes! Oh my God, Des, I love you. I've always wanted you to be there when I buy my car. Can you leave now?"

"Hey, anytime you want me to leave is fine."

"Girl, leave now. You're spending the entire day with me!"

It looked like they were going to have fun, and Des thought it would be great if Winnie could join them, but today was special to Ify, and she didn't want to make it about someone else.

"The entire day? How many hours will it take to buy a car?" She teased, and Ify scoffed.

"After buying my car, we're going to grab lunch. No, scratch that, I'm driving you to lunch. And then, we're going to get drunk."

Months ago, Des would have loved that idea, but right now, she wasn't about that life. Although he apologized for his words, Des thought Babalola was right. She needed to do more.

She had always wanted to pay off her father's debts and be free so she could return to school. Now that it was paid, why was she stalling?

"What?" Ify huffed. "The General wouldn't let you?"

Des didn't like Ify's tone, but she refused to take it to heart. "It's not about the General. But text me the address to meet you, okay? I'll leave now."

"Alright. I cannot wait to see you," Ify said and hung up.

When she reached the living room downstairs, Mohammed was waiting at the door, a polite smile on his face. She hasn't seen him much since the incident, and that seemed like it happened a lifetime ago.

"Good morning, Miss Des," he smiled. "If you follow me, I'll introduce you to your driver and bodyguard."

"Bodyguard?"

"Yes." Mohammed turned to leave the house. Des followed him.

"Where's the General?"

"Working," was the only thing he said before stopping before a black Jeep.

A young, unformed guy slipped out, an eager smile on his face as he stepped towards her, his arms outstretched.

"Good morning, Miss. I'm Kay. Your driver and body—"