Chapter 1

Thomas' POV 

He was there, right in front of me. His eyes swallowed in darkness, body consumed by the deadly virus. My heart ached, watching the boy who has been there for me this entire time, through the glade till the very end, my best friend.

"You have to kill me!" 

He clasped his fingers around the pistol. Pointing the tip of it towards his head. I swatted away the gun. Fingers throbbing from the impact with the hard metal. But I didn't care, the pain from by body was like a pinch compared to the pain of watching Newt suffer. 

"No... no... We're gonna make it out of this... Just hang on a little longer... Newt,"  

Tears welled up in my eyes watching my friend experience this process, it was brutal. 

"Please Tommy." 

I could see him struggling to grasp onto the very last bit of sanity he had left. Body trembling, slowly losing his mind. 

He pounced onto me, pushing me backwards smashing the both of us into the concrete ground. He was on top of me, blood oozing from his lips, dripping onto my skin like acid. 

My heart dropped like a faulty lift.

Newt snarled at me, cackling no differently than all the other cranks I've met. It was like being punched in the heart over and over again. 

My hands still blocking him from attacking me, but subconsciously I was careful not to hurt him, I could never even hurt a single strand of his beautiful blonde hair.  

Newt stumbled backwards, showing his last bit of restraint. He grabbed a pocket knife from inside his coat, gripping it tightly with his right hand. Then he charged at me, swinging the knife every direction, slashing the lethal weapon carelessly. 

"Newt..."

I wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. Watching Newt like this was too much. All along he was the one everyone could rely on, the glue. 

Newt continued to slash back and forth. The pain was like acid burning through my veins. A sudden burst of adrenaline came rushing out of me. I rammed into Newt with all the energy i had left. The knife dropped from his hands, making impact with the ground. 

I managed  to pin him down onto the floor, I wanted to scream, to cry. But no, I had to be strong, We've come so far together. 

Newt's head swung around with no coordination with the rest of his body. I looked into his eyes, swallowed in darkness. His legs flailing desperately trying to get out of my grasp. 

At that very moment, heavy pairs of footsteps came from my side. Distracted by the noise, I tilted my head to watch. A second was all he needed, in my moment of distraction, Newt shoved me off his body and dug his teeth deep into my ankle. 

The pain surged through me, Newt was at my legs, his fangs still deep into my flesh. The pain was unbearable, nothing like I have every felt. It was nothing compared to the gunshots, the griever stings. It felt like a piece of venom was eating into my bones, burning my flesh like molten lava. 

"Help me pin him down!" a familiar voice roared.

Minho. 

With all my effort I pushed myself off the ground, only to see Minho tackling Newt to the ground, Gally helping him detain Newts legs. I could still hear the terrible screeches Newt produced with his lips.

As my ankle was still throbbing with pain, my eyesight started to get hazy. Millions of needles pressing into my skull. I looked one last time at Newt, only to see Brenda thrust the cure into Newts chest. 

Then everything went black.