Chapter 6

Thomas' POV 

Ever since my realization, my heart has been pounding heavily every second. 

As I followed Newt deeper into the forests, the trees seemed to be alive, caving in on each other. Creating harmonious beams of light that shot through the holes in between leaves.

"So where exactly is the berg" I chimed.

I hated being kept in the dark, although I trust Newt with my life, I just couldn't bear not know where or what was ahead of me.

"You trust me don't ya Tommy?" 

"Yea but how much further do we have to walk" 

"What do you want me to give you a piggy back ride your bloody majesty?" 

I couldn't help but feel as if my epic meltdown with Newt wasn't completely forgotten. The rest of the walk was filled with an awkward silence, no one dared say another word to avoid any more conflict. 

After what felt like an eternity of walking in the soil, finally the plants started to make way revealing a large empty flatland. In the center, stood the berg.

"There it is." 

Newt went ahead in through the cargo bay and started setting up the flying machine.

"Since when did you know how to drive a flying capsule."

"Since never" 

"Well I feel so much better already" I retorted 

"If you want to find you're girlfriend so desperately, I suggest you slim it." 

Newt's tone still suggest that he was slightly mad and me, but there was a small tint of hurt still flowing along with his words, which only made me feel worse about myself.

The loud purring of the engine started and within moments they were up in the air, the cabins slowly fading into tiny dots in the distance. 

I stared down at the remains of this world, not a single soul was to be found. 

As we approached the destroyed city, I scanned the floor from the birds eye view hoping I could catch a movement. 

"We're here" Newt announced

"yea"

Once the berg landed, I practically zoomed out into the open. I scoured every inch of the fallen building, there were bodies everywhere all lifeless. but none resembled the face of Teresa. This somehow gave me the smallest bit of hope, maybe she survived somehow.

Suddenly, I felt rigid. The air around me started to feel uncanny. I felt like there were millions of spiders climbing up my spine.

Something was wrong...

And then I heard it, the way too familiar snarling of the horrid monsters. I stared in horror stumbling clumsily back to the berg.

Through the glass window, Newt's face appeared. His face consumed with horror, panic glowing through his eyes. 

Then I bolted, the dreadful uproar of the cranks, still echoing from behind me.

My legs carried me quickly back into the trunk of the berg, 

"Go! Go! Go!" I shouted at Newt 

He obeyed and punched the engine.