Chapter 17

Thomas' POV

Millions of thoughts were still rushing through my head, arguments for whether or not this was a good idea. 

I didn't understand what this stupid feeling inside my heart was, how I felt so amazing next to Newt, and how he could affect me with just stealing a glance towards my direction. After everything we've been through, as brothers, as teammates. It felt so wrong yet amazing at the same time.

But the one thing that kept weighing my heart down...

Last night, I watched the same disease from my nightmares bubble back up into reality. Shivers ran up my spin just thinking about it. 

If what triggered the insanity was anxiety or stress, I had to do everything to make sure it doesn't happen to Newt again. 

Which means fate has already made up my decision for me. I can't break Newt again. No matter how wrong it felt to me, the pain of watching him slowly sink into the depths of madness, I would do anything to prevent it, even if it meant betraying our brotherly bonds. 

"Hey."

Came Newt's voice from beside me. I looked at him only to find his eyes studying my face with intense focus. 

"What're you thinkin' about" 

"What?" I asked, still demented by my thoughts.

"You 've been wearing that expression for the last few minutes, you're thinking expression." 

"Oh" I muttered to myself.

"I don't knw, just thinking about what our next step is. Everything we've done was part of WICKED's plan, I'm not even sure if we're actually free." I exclaimed louder this time, surprised my by ability to be able to come up with such a lie without hesitation.

"They really screwed us over didn't they?" 

"Yea." 

Then a sudden rustling came from behind us, followed by a voice. 

"You two shuck heads, we need you back at the cabins!"