Chapter 18

Newt's POV

Minho's voice hit me like a cold bucket of water, stripping me of the warmth from Thomas. I stole a glance at him, and for a split second I thought I saw a hint of relief, though it was probably my mind messing with my feelings. 

"What happened?" 

Thomas spoke up from next to me.

"It's.. it's Teresa, she's.... back"

Minho panted between words, palms resting on his knees. 

Before I had time to process the information Minho announced, Thomas cut off my thoughts.

"What do you mean she's back?" he spat into the sand.

"I mean she's standing in the middle of one of the cabins." 

I watched as Thomas' face went blank, he blinked probably trying to figure out whether or not this was actually happening. 

My heart was racing, Teresa? Why did she have to butt right back in after I finally settled things with Thomas? I felt the same hurt boiling in my stomach, as I was trying to stop the feelings from showing on my face. 

Thomas glanced at me as if looking for approval, I had no choice, it would be selfish of me to stop him from seeing Teresa again, after all she was his first love.  

So I nodded slowly, and that was all it took for him to speed of into the sand. 

I watched as his sneakers sunk into the sand slightly every time they hit the ground, and slowing declining into the distance.

"Come on let's go" 

Minho grabbed my arm and started dragging me after Thomas.

I numbly allowed him to direct me all the way back to the cabins, it felt like a blink of an eye, but my legs knew otherwise. I almost collapsed from the soreness in my calf, being a runner had their advantages, unfortunately I didn't have the legs to be one.

I looked up to find the very person I was dreading to see, Teresa.

She stood there in front of Thomas, swallowed deep in conversation. Her bright eyes looking straight into Thomas'. 

A pang of jealousy hit me in the stomach, as I turned around to look the other way. I squeezed my eyes shut pulling myself together. 

Something was wrong. 

Everyone around me was chattering loudly, the sound of voices overlapping each other piercing through my skull. 

"Newt!" 

A sharp voice stood out from the rest, I spun around to find those bright eyes scanning me up and down. 

"Well you haven't changed a bit" 

Teresa announced.

"Yea I guess so."

I tried to sound as friendly as possible, hiding my hate and envy behind my smile. 

How was she alive? I watched her fall into the ruins of Denver, there was definitely something wrong.

"Can I talk to you in private?" I spoke up.

"Sure, of course."

I began to leave make way into a cabin, and on the way in Thomas sent me a very disapproving glance. I looked away continuing to walk and ignoring his glare burning through my back.