Chapter 3

Newt's POV

Seeing Thomas awake, it was like taking a noose off my neck. I constantly worried that he wouldn't wake up, my guilt consuming me. I woke up around a week before Thomas did. Every morning, after everyone left the cabin I would go in and check on Thomas. 

Yesterday. 

Once again, the sun rose into the sky, everyone had their own job. Just like it was back in the glade, except we  were free now. The smell of Frypan's stew floated into my nose, my stomach grumbled gently but i had to check on Thomas first. 

I walked next to his bed,

"Hey, I don't know if you can hear me. I just want you to know that I'm so sorry for what i did to you." I paused, his trousers were revealing a spot on his ankle, the scar I gave him.

Tears started to form in my eyes, I shut my eyes to stop myself from breaking again. 

I might have only met Thomas recently, but it felt like I've known him all my life. It kills me to think that he might never wake up, and that it's all my fault. 

"I knew the moment  you ran into the maze that I would follow you wherever you went, I cant imagine what I would do if you were gone..." I sniffled

My voice started breaking, Thomas was the best friend a person could ask for, the best leader, warrior. And he'd be gone, because of me. 

I started sobbing uncontrollably, letting out tiny hiccups. I leaned onto his chest, feeling his heartbeat, his warmth. It made me feel slightly better to know he was still alive, but that pang of guilt was still there eating my heart up. I grasped his hand, still soaking his shirt with my tears. 

"You saved me Tommy." I whispered.

Back to the present.

Sitting next to me, Thomas he looked more alive then ever. Being next to him made me feel safe, thinking of the countless times he has saved me. 

"You're lucky I respect you hermano, otherwise some unforseen consequences might happen." I heard Jorge say from the opposite side of the room. 

I looked at Thomas only to see his face blushing furiously, there was this weird feeling inside my stomach, it was like something fluttering desperately. I was probably just hungry. 

"Ya buggers wanna get some food, I'm starving" I exclaimed 

"Yea I feel like my stomach is trying to eat itself" Minho replied 

I chuckled to myself, I was going to have to get use to living this normal life.