Chapter 21: Broken Present (Sky)

If only these were my only issues. If only wondering whether or not a girl liked me was my biggest worry, but you know what? I've never deserved that. That immediately became the least of my problems because I considered it a problem.

I was avoiding Tempest by staying in my room. Staying in my room caused a bigger problem. "I might as well clean this place up," I thought. What could possibly go wrong in cleaning your room? Answer: trying to clean your niece's half.

I found a knife. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal. No, we're not killers like someone else we know, but Lillian and I both owned a pocket knife. We both owned katanas now, too. But Lillian hadn't told me about any daggers, especially not bloody ones. Not bloody, rusting daggers with one word carved in the handle over and over: help. Help. Help. Why hadn't she told me?

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I demanded of her. I was holding up the knife.

"I didn't... I didn't mean..." Lillian stuttered. "I'm getting help, Sky. It's not like I want to be broken. I'm getting help."

"I'm supposed to help you!" I insisted. "You should've told me!"

"You can't help me, Sky," Lillian sniffed. "A flower can't be watered by a broken sky."

I paused. "I'm not broken, Lillian. I'm doing better."
"You're doing better?! Then what's Mom's name?!" Lillian blurted. I couldn't answer. "Thought so. It's... it's ok, Sky. You're allowed to be broken. It's not your fault. It's just... because you're broken, you can't fix me. You shouldn't feel like it's your job."

"Just because I might be broken shouldn't break you, Lil," I whispered. "You shouldn't feel like you have to hide things from me."

"It would break you more if I showed you."

"Show me."

Lillian rolled up her sleeves. I don't know what kind of sound I let out, but it was a sound of terror and despair. Why had she done this? Why couldn't she have told me before it got this far?

"'You're a good artist, child, but you should try drawing things you know about.' Remember when that librarian said that to me, Sky?" Lillian questioned. "I've been drawing broken things."

"Tell me you haven't been drawing yourself," I pleaded.

"I know broken things, Sky," Lillian repeated. "I don't know myself." She handed me a drawing of me. I hadn't even known she was there when I was the way I was in that drawing. I was sitting alone by my locker, clutching my head, sobbing, trying not to scream. It was a few days after our first encounter with Eli, and I was scared of him breaking Lillian. I should've been scared of him breaking me.

"But I drew this, too," Lillian added. Kintsugi. Broken Japanese pottery. "The bowl is me, broken. Sky... I need you to be the gold. But not alone. I need you to get your own gold. I need you to heal before you can fix me."

I hugged my flower, my sunshine, my Lillian. "We're going to be ok."

Hello there! I usually really hate it when there's a blurb like this at the end of a chapter, but I was so excited. I made fanart of Sky! I understand my drawing skills are not the best, but I wanted to share this with anyone who bothers to read my writing (who are you lol?). Thanks for reading!

 Thanks for reading!