Saying Goodbye

I sat by the hospital bed holding Lucas hand crying knowing it was my fault I couldn't protect him. I made him a promise to protect him and when he needed me the most I wasn't there. The only other noise in the room was the beep from the heart monitor. Luca I love you so much please don't leave me tears running down my face. Days before Alberto had written a song for Luca he was calling it Lucas Lullaby. He held Lucas hand and played with his hair he sung as he sat there.

You're okay, you're alright

Ill never, ever leave your side

I will stay, I will fight

With you

Aah- aah, aah-ooh

Aah-aah, aah-ooh

You're okay, you're alright

Ill stay here through the darkest night

All the way, I will fight

With you

(Music and lyrics don't belong to me its from riders lullaby by Jessie Mueller)

As Alberto sat there he rubbed circles on Lucas hand. He was tired of crying his heart was broken he wouldn't ever find love again. The door to the room opened he sat up and looked. Giulia was standing in the door looking at him. She was on a school trip when Luca got hurt and wasn't able to come home. It's been 3 weeks since I found him Alberto said. She rushed over to Alberto and pulled him into a hug. I'm sorry Alberto I'm so sorry.  What happened she asked?  I don't know I was running late to get him and I found him in the pool face down. Nobody was with him. Slowly he hung his head and said I could protect him.

Giulia and Alberto sat there in silence. Of course people from the station would stop in to see how he was. They sent flowers and cards which were spread out across the room. 

As night fell Giulia said her goodbye and left. Alberto of course crawled into Lucas bed and held him cherishing ever moment he had with him. Drifting off to sleep alberto said I love you Luca I will fight With you.

Days turned into weeks and weeks to months. The leaves have fallen Luca. It's almost winter time. I know you love winter because we could cuddle all the time. I bought you something for Christmas but I need you to wake up so I can give it to you.
Please Luca wake up please I can't do this without you.

December rolls around and the snow starts falling. Oh Luca it's beautiful outside everything is white and covered with snow. Please can you open your eyes I just want you to see it. Please Luca come back to me. I love you Luca.

Days passed its the middle of December. Alberto hasn't left Lucas side afraid he would miss something.

Bending down Alberto whispered into Lucas ear. I love you so much Luca. You've made my life a better place. You taught me how to love. I want you to know it's alright to go. I'll be ok here I promise. He squeezed Lucas hand and looked at his face. He could have sworn Luca smiled. Taking a long breath in the heart monitors beeping started to slow down before stopping completely leaving the long sad tone. Alberto stood up and kissed Luca one last time before reaching over to turn off the Monitor. 

Alberto sits down holding Lucas hand goodbye my love. Before breaking down crying.