I'm Here

Day 14 Cloytober Wildcard: Foggy

❦❦❦

HEADLINES: Korean couple found dead with their child. A freak accident on a snowy night.

That article shouldn't bother Ri Jeong Hyeok as much as it did when it flew down to the ground.

But it did, and now, the angel was questioning why he was even bothered by it.

A Korean couple...their child.

Three lives lost on a snowy night.

It was an echo of his nightmare.

That was why he was bothered by it.

When a soul is reborn as an angel or a devil, its former memories are not so much as erased as locked. It is why it is highly possible for an angel or a devil to regain their former memories once they find the key to unlocking them.

All it takes is one trigger, one key, for them to find their former self again.

Most simply do not bother to find that key, for surely living life in heaven and hell was better than the lives they led as humans. Humans who were prone to committing the most atrocious sins and yet were scared to face the extreme ramifications of their actions.

Except, most devils and angels were forgetting one thing. What made humans beautiful was their tenacity to trudge forwards even when they failed numerous times. All it took was love and a little bit of encouragement and they could radiate like the great angel.

The same couldn't be said about their morality guardians.

Clearly shaken by what he saw and the near car accident that morning, Ri Jeong Hyeok barely made it through the rest of the day. It was a true relief to the angel when the day ended without any more hiccups, although it was clear Seri was particularly concerned about her partner.

That slight tension punctuating the air was growing more unfamiliar to the partners by the second. Naturally, Seri wouldn't have that and decided to make a slight detour before they parted for the day.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok, take me to the bridge again?" Seri tilted her head to the side hopefully. "I want to see the sunset on earth for a change."

One slow nod of his head was all the answer Seri needed as she grabbed his hand with childlike excitement. Kicking off the ground, the angel and devil flew towards the bridge that they first met – even if they didn't know it yet.

In every sense, that was their bridge, for their memories were deeply entrenched in and cherished by every little groove of the grand, human-made architecture.

Unfortunately, Seri wouldn't be able to see the sunset that night.

It was that time of the year where the clouds travelled down from the skies to sit upon the land, bringing with it a brilliant white canvas and the lightest of mists. Although their beating wings helped in dissipating some of the fog around them, the view ahead was completely covered by a blanket of white which only became more prominent as the skies continued to darken.

The trees and greenery were now dark silhouettes that would be impossible to be made out by the naked eye whereas the white encircling every dimension on earth was an art form of its own, highlighting the beauty behind simplicity.

No colours, just white.

Depending on how one looked at it, the fog was beautiful too.

But for Yoon Seri and Ri Jeong Hyeok who were weighed down by a past they could not remember, the fog was a terrifying beauty.