Chapter 9

‘Kathy, I need simple. What are you wearing?’ We’re standing in Bloomingdales, looking at dresses. The One Direction thing is on tonight, and as I came to New York for a performance and not a party, I’m stuck. Jas is wearing a bright pink dress; she takes a dress wherever she goes.

‘Little black dress.’ She states.

‘How about this?’ I pull out a nude coloured dress, with the upper half covered in dark grey coloured sequins. I fall in love with the dress instantly, and judging by the look on Kathys face she has too.

‘Please.’ She sighs. I grin, and we make our way to the shoe department. I need a new pair of heels. We search for what seems like hours until I find the perfect pair of black heeled pumps with a cute bow on the toe area. I grin, find my size and put them in my basket.

‘Now for cosmetics.’ Luckily this part of the store was right in front of us. I automatically pick up… oh so many nail varnishes, and different make up pieces. ‘Will these even go through the airport?’ I ask Kathy.

‘As long as you put them in a clear bag.’

‘Hurry up Avery Jackson!’ Kathy shouts. I pull on my heels, and check myself in the mirror. My hair is wavy, my makeup subtle, dress is pretty, shoes are cute, and clutch bag is full of necessities. I pull on my swallow necklace, and make a dash for the front door.

We walk out of the apartment, and head down the elevator, Jas chattering on about how proud she is of her boys. Her boys are grown men. I shake my head, and pull out my phone.

Harry: You haven’t backed out have you?

Me: Maybe…

Harry: Are you serious?

Me: No

I put my phone in my clutch bag and walk out into the lobby. There are numerous flashes outside; after all we are in the same building as One Direction, and myself. Kathy pulls Jas closer to her side and I can’t help but wish I was there for my sisters more. They must think I’m a shit sister. We walk out, and Jasmine waves at all the cameras, laughing her head off. A few of my own fans are here so I say hello to them and go, not wanting to be late for the celebration.

We hop into the limo rented for the night, and talk about what has happened on the trip. Jasmine has named herself Nialls princess and I even think he tweeted it. Kathy is dating Liam Payne, something so unexpected I’m still confused about when the hell the whole thing started.

‘How long?’ I ask  

‘We’re here.’

We walk into the Hudson Hotel, sighing in relief at the lack of photographers. Sometimes they can be slightly overwhelming. We are directed to the room that the gathering is to take place in, our coats whisked away. We walk into the grand room, to see the place is already pretty full. Jasmine pulls my hand and I look down at her. She’s pointing over to the corner, where Lux is playing with her toys. I let her go over there and she sits down playing with Lux. I walk to the side of the room where a long table of food is. I take a drink of sparkling water and walk around not quite knowing what to do. I look around for anyone I know, and typically no one I know is here, except Kathy and Jas, and they’re occupied. In fact I can’t even see Kathy. I put my empty glass down, and make my way towards the large glass door, revealing the beauty of the night. Screw it. I open the door and slip out, the chill instantly raising goose bumps on my bare skin. I shiver slightly, and walk towards the edge of the balcony leaning against the railing. I admire the city, and stars, coming out of my own personal heaven when I hear the door open behind me. A jacket is placed on my shoulders and arms wrapped around my waist.

‘We need to talk.’ He whispers. I turn and look at his pale face.

‘Are you OK?’ I raise my hand, and brush it across his cheek. He shakes his head, and pulls away.

‘This isn’t normal.’ He whispers.

‘Say what now?’ I pull back slightly, and rest my hands on his forearms, the thin cotton of his white shirt the only material between our skin.

‘Will you go on a date with me?’ He looks down at me smiling. I take in a deep breath, my first thought is no, but why should I say no? Why should I refuse him, again?

‘Yes.’ I say, a smile playing on my lips. He grins, and lowers his head to mine. His soft lips make contact with my own, making my skin warm, and my heart race. He pulls my bottom lip between his teeth and let’s go almost instantly, the touch making me weak at the knees. He pulls back and grins at me.

‘Mind doing something for me?’ I raise my brow. ‘Come meet my family?’ Well that escalated quickly.