Chapter 1: Welcome To The New World

Volume 1

Chapter 1: Welcome To The New World

I don't like summer. It's too hot... even sitting down, I feel myself sweating. If you ask me, winter is the best time of the year. At least in winter, I can warm up with a hot drink, while in the summer, I won't feel cool even when I sit in front of a fan. It doesn't help that our school has no AC or that the window can only open a crack. Unsurprisingly, everyone in my class looks hot and tries to cool themselves off with makeshift paper fans.

This is starting to feel like torture. The teacher is late, not to anyone's surprise. I can't even remember the last time he was on time. I bet he is still in the staff room, in front of the large fan they set up. Lucky. I wish they would also put fans in all the classrooms instead of leaving us to suffer like this. But the heat isn't my only problem. It's too nosy here, making reading my book hard.

Like they usually do, my classmates break into groups and talk amongst themselves. The sports crowd gathers in the back of the room, the popular kids fill the centre, and the gamers sit up front with their handheld gaming devices. Our school does have a rule about those things, but none of the teachers ever enforce it. The rest of the students sit in pairs or trios between the main groups. As for me, well, I am all by myself.

Don't go getting worried about me. It is not like I am some unsociable person. I just never fit in with any groups or had a good relationship with anyone not associated with said groups. But I do have friends. They just are not in the same class as me. Well, I have one friend in my class, or at least we used to be friends. But even if we were still friends, I could hardly go over to her and talk.

"Hey Luke," Speak of the devil. "What are you reading?"

Elise is the most popular girl in school, with countless boys and even girls asking her out daily. It is not hard to see why with her long brown hair and pretty blue eyes that can make people's hearts flutter with just a glance, Elise is extremely popular.

It is hard to believe someone like me used to have such a close relationship with her. You would have thought we were joined at the hips when we were kids because we would do everything together. But growing up, everything changed. Elise was more intelligent than me, made friends with everyone and was more athletic than I could ever hope to be. It was not long before I was left behind.

I look up to see Elise rush towards me. I really wish she would take more care of what she is doing, as her bouncing chest makes it hard not for me to stare. Elise really lucked out when her body developed. As for me, I was left with a petite body, which meant she would still be towering over me even if I were not sitting down. Setting down the book I was reading, I saw Elise smiling brightly. I don't know how she does it. You could always count on Elise to smile whether she was having a difficult or good day.

"Just some lame comedy," I shrug.

I only brought the book I was reading on a whim when I saw it in the sales pile. I hoped I had found a hidden gem, but the story was not funny or exciting. I feel a little grateful that Elise distracted me from such a boring book. But I could do without being on the receiving end of the glares from Elise's fans.

"Is it really that bad?" Elise asks, leaning down to stare at the book. She really should be more careful. I had to look away because I could see down the front of her top. "I have not seen that book before. What's it about?"

"Just a comedy with bad jokes and characters," I reply, struggling to maintain eye contact with the tempting view just slightly lower. She really needs to stand up straighter or button her top up. "It's not really that good."