Chapter One

The sky was dark and the rain was coming down fast and hard like a waterfall. It was a yucky day outside in Millbury South Carolina. My parents and I just pulled up the driveway to our house. We had just gotten back from my thirteenth birthday dinner. I was laughing at what my dad had just said to my mom. We hurried and ran to the house as soon as my dad turned the car engine off.

Once I was in the house I sat on the couch and picked a movie out for us to watch. I always loved being an only child because then I never had to share the attention from my parents. Before I knew it I woke up and realized we all fell asleep and the movie was over. Before waking up my parents, I quietly stood up and walked away to go to the bathroom. When I came back out my parents were already heading up the stairs, so I followed behind them. As soon as I was under the covers I was out. I woke up to screaming coming from my parent's room. I rushed out of bed and ran to their room to see what was going on. I peeked through the crack in the door to see my parents lying in front of me, being sucked dry by vampires. My eyes started to water up at the sight. My dad's head fell in my direction and before closing his eyes he mouthed 'Run'.

----------

I jumped up out of bed screaming and crying. I hate that dream. I hate that my parents died and I could do nothing about it. I hate that my birthday will never be fun again because it is a reminder of what happened. What I hate most of all though is vampires.

Every year on my birthday I have the same dream. It has been five years today since my parents died. I'm eighteen today. Most girls would celebrate their eighteenth birthday and have a big party, but not me. I have to leave this hotel before the vampires that killed my parents get closer and find me. They almost killed me when I ran into them a few months ago. They said that my blood calls to them and that it smells of honey and nectar. The only reason I got away was because a group of people came by and asked if everything was okay. So thankfully they left. I got lucky that time, but I doubt I will be as fortunate if I run into them again. Well it's time to leave this motel I can't stay any longer.

It was getting late, the sun just went down and every passing minute it gets darker. I was in some gigantic forest in California. The cool night breeze felt good against my body. I was only wearing a pair of dark jean shorts and a black tank top. The only reason I can afford to pay for this stuff is because my parents were rich. When they died I got all their money. And when I say rich I mean really rich. My dad was a lawyer and my mom was a surgeon. Not only that but both of my parents came from wealthy families.

All of a sudden I heard a snap a few feet behind me. I slowly and cautiously turned around to see what it was, but no one was there. Now I was starting to get scared. What if it was them? I turned back around quickly, getting ready to run, but I bumped into a chest. Whoever it was grabbed my arms, steadying me. I could feel the man's chest rumble from his chuckling. When all of a sudden his posture stiffened. I looked up at him to meet the most beautiful eyes in the world. They were a bright blue like mine, bit his shined like stars! He had dark brown hair just like Taylor Lautners. He was icy pale and absolutely beautiful. His lips were full and-Oh my gosh. He's a vampire!