4 - VOLLEYBALL

Percy hated the beach.

Squealing children and perverted old men could be easily heard and spotted even if they were far away. The burning sun hung above all of them, some basking in the light and others shying away from it. The grainy texture of the sand was unfamiliar and unsettling. The multiple layers of sunscreen Percy had applied wouldn't stop his skin from turning a violent shade of red. The sticky heat was everywhere, the slight breeze was hot, the sun was hot, the base of the large umbrella he sat under was hot. Everything was burning or burnt, and Percy despised it.

It hadn't been this bad on the streets, or in the hotel. The beach and the beach alone was to blame.

He sat under a large red and white striped umbrella next to his mother, a book open on his lap. She was basking in the sun to his right, seeming more at ease than she had been for a long time. Her eyes glittered with content and her face was pulled into an easy smile. She watched over her younger children fondly, without the stress she would have when trying to monitor them. It was the first time in a long time that Percy had seen her so relaxed, completely burden free.

Percy curled up on himself as much as possible to avoid any sunlight hitting him. His red hair was messy and untamed, the twins had made sure of that. Blue eyes pointedly focused on the pages in front of them, ignoring his siblings who he could vaguely hear from his place on the shore. Their voices blended into those of other kids and adolescents their age, indistinguishable and not interesting enough to want to separate.

"Percy, dear, are you alright?" Molly questioned; concern etched onto her expression despite still being at peace.

Percy looked up from his book and turned to his mother. He straightened his shoulders and tilted his head up. Seeing as his knees were still near his chest, this position was awfully amusing. It was the way he used to sit as a child, he sat on everything that way. On chairs, couches, his own bed. He especially loved to sit that way on the windowsill on a rainy day. Being so warm near a surface so cold was an amazing feeling to the young boy. Then he learned it was improper. So he trained himself to sit straight, to sit normally, to be the mature one. From time to time, he still sat that way, though it was incredibly rare.

"I'm alright Mother, how are you?" He replied politely, as always.

Molly smiled sweetly at her son, patting his cheek tenderly. She was so terribly fond of her third-eldest child. He was so incredibly polite and obedient, a refreshing break from her more energetic children. He was also the child who listened. Bill listened as well, yes, but he never did it quite the way Percy did. He was such a sweet child, yet he was lonely, and mocked, and isolated. She always did her best to make sure he felt loved, but she knew that one person's love could never act as a replacement for the love of many others.

"I'm just fine, sweetheart. This is very relaxing. The beach is simply marvellous, don't you think?"

Percy nodded in agreement, turning his head to his siblings. The four played in the ocean, splashing water onto one another and laughing cheerily. They seemed like they were having fun. Percy hoped Ginny was having fun as well. He was well aware that it wasn't likely, but one could hope.

Molly sighed, her eyes still watching her third eldest child.

"I'm worried about you darling; you should be having fun with your siblings. I do love having you by my side, but shouldn't you be playing in the water or taking a walk?"

Percy shook his head vehemently in denial. He began to read once more, his fingers gently caressing the pages. They felt smooth under his fingertips, and every word was unique in its own right.

"I'm having fun, Mother, I'm reading a good book and my skin isn't being set aflame by the sun. I'm fine Mother, I promise." He consoled her with care, a soft expression on his face.