8 - MOONLIT WANDERS

Twin snores filled the air, being the only noise in the otherwise silent room. The window was open, as were the blinds. Summer air from the beach streamed into the stuffy room, clearing the old air out and bringing the new air in. Moonlight shone in generously, giving light to the entire room. Percy could see the sleeping faces of his twin brothers and knew they wouldn't wake anytime soon. He knew that they wouldn't give this beautiful sight the appreciation it deserved, how could they ever? Their minds were spinning constantly, he would be surprised if they even noticed that he was still awake.

Percy couldn't sleep. The twins had been quiet within reason, he hadn't seen Oliver since last night at the hotel, he had no reason why he wouldn't be able to sleep. Yet, there he was. If he had no physical barrier of noise and no emotional barrier of Oliver, he surely should've been able to close his eyes and rest his mind for a few hours? He sighed, running a hand across his face and letting it fall into his lap. There was no point to lying in bed for hours, only to fail sleeping. No, he needed productivity, something to do. This wasn't restlessness, no, he merely loathed wasting time when it could be spent doing something of value.

He stood up, walking to the ajar window. He opened it as far as it could and rested his weight against the windowsill. He inhaled the night air deeply, his shoulders subconsciously relaxing at the motion. From his place by the window, he saw the long stretch of tall buildings that made the city so utterly busy. The streets weren't entirely abandoned, but they weren't crowded either. Lights from pubs and lamp posts adorned the street, and the whole place shone in a warm yellow. From his place at the hotel, several stories above the yellow-lit city, everything inside was microscopic. The buildings were high, but the people were tiny, the signs barely noticeable. Tables and chairs from cafes couldn't be spotted even if he tried. The world was so small from up above.

He always found California more beautiful at night than at day. Only then could it even attempt to compare with the sight back home, no matter how different the two may be. Ireland would win every time, but the effort was enough to seem impressive. Percy could vaguely spot the direction the beach was in, but not the beach itself. The beach would look stunning at this time, he thought. No people, no squeals, no laughter, just the water and the sound of his own breathing. Back home, the smell of sea spray and the feeling of sand were ones he couldn't find in anything larger than a vial.

A small, soft smile crept onto his face, eyes exploring the sight below him in fascinated wonder.

"I should take a walk," He whispered to himself, "It's lovely out there."

He moved away from the window and pulled it down to its previous ajar position so the twins wouldn't get cold. Next, he reached for his jacket which hung on the desk chair. A pair of sneakers were snatched off of the ground and placed on his feet. Percy scribbled a note onto a spare blank flashcard for the twins to read if they were to wake before he returned.

- Went for a walk, please do not worry about me. I will be back soon.

He placed it on his freshly made bed, right in the centre, and crept away. He tip-toed to the door, his footsteps long and cautious. The door creaked slightly as it opened, and Percy winced in hopes it hadn't been heard.

The snoring raged on; he hadn't woken them up. He let out a sigh of relief. It was exhausting to be in the same room as them, no matter how little or how much space they occupied.

He closed the door behind him and locked it with his keys. The twins had their own sets of keys if they needed to exit, they would be fine. The hallway looked exactly as he remembered it, with dark green carpet and painfully crisp white walls. This time, he didn't bother quieting his footsteps or glancing around him. There was no secret to hide and nothing to discover.