ch.28

season one | chapter twenty-eight

now playing: friendly car rides are the best2:32 ——◦———— -3:50↠ⁿᵉˣᵗ ˢᵒⁿᵍ ↺ ʳᵉᵖᵉᵃᵗ ⊜ ᵖᵃᵘˢᵉ

2:32 ——◦———— -3:50
↠ⁿᵉˣᵗ ˢᵒⁿᵍ ↺ ʳᵉᵖᵉᵃᵗ ⊜ ᵖᵃᵘˢᵉ

The cool air from the AC had brushed against the girls flushed out face, her face was swollen and a pink blush decorated the bridge of her nose along with her puffy cheeks.

"Thank you so much again for picking me up," the tiny lady sighed, she fidgeted in her seat— avoiding direct eye contact or just any contact from the person in the drivers seat.

"It's no problem Aeri, you know you can always count on me." the corner of their lips curved up into a smile, eyes still fixated on the road to make sure they didn't get into an accident.

Despite not seeing each other in like years, the cold silence wasn't as comforting as their old memories they used to dearly share in their teenage years,

"So uh," she gnawed on the bottom of the chapped flesh, missing the feeling of her piercing that left the taste of metal on the tip of her tongue.

The driver focused on the road, but stayed silent to show they were still listening.

"How's it been?" her small tack tactics weren't as good— she couldn't make small talk to save her life. But yet she still tried to not make it so awkward.

"I've been okay, how about you?"

She couldn't tell them exactly what had happened, I mean what really did happen? She got kicked out of her house and moved in with a guy she barely knew for a month? Real smooth, Aeri.

"You know here and there," her fingers played with the hem of her sweater paws, picking at the loose threads on her favorite sweater that kept her warm on those cold nights.

Looking up from her hands she saw Jisung's house, "That's my stop."

The person seemed to be confused, noticing it wasn't the familiar house she'd always drop little Aeri at when she needed rides from school from time to time.

"Don't ask it's a long story.." she didn't even need to face them to know the look that was plastered onto their face.

"Well I got all day."

.  .  .

"Thanks again, Jihoon." the tiny lady sighed as he made her way out of the man's automobile.

The fresh breeze hit her, it was the start of fall and the chilly weather made her reminisce old times with her old friend.

"It's no problem, Aeri," the man sent a small smile towards the girl, slowly letting a sigh slip through his lips. "Just call me if you ever need anything, okay?"

She nodded at his words, not having an initial reaction or knowing how to bunch her words together.

"I gotta go, bye." she bid her goodbyes, walking down the little sidewalk leading up into Jisung's house.

She hadn't noticed Jisung's car parked front so she was skeptical nonetheless. Her friend had already drove off, leaving her alone.

Her hand abandoned the pocket from her hoodie— the instant cold making them dry up. The warmness from her sweater was missed, quickly twisting the doorknob open to enter the mellow house.

After basking in the warmth of the house, her senses were quick to notice nobody present in the actual home itself. The atmosphere felt off— all the lights were turned off and all you could see was the dim lights peering through the window curtains.

Her eyes wandered around the dark living area, holding her arms out to the side to look for a possible light switch. Once she assumed she found one, she flickered it.

All the lights in the house illuminated through their lightbulbs, creating a different ambience.

"Jisung??" she yelled out.

No answer.

Out of habit the girl started to panic, orbs shaking while fixating on different objects in the living room. Her hands shook, not from the cold. But from fear.

Her hand immediately got ahold of her phone, rushing to find the familiar contact name.

Ringing filled the line, every second that passed that he wasn't picking up— she panicked even more. Until she realized her cheeks started feeling damp from the tears that started to trickle down her face.

Before it could go straight to voicemail, the call was picked up and the sound of light music filtered the girls right ear.

"Jisung!!" she felt her heart fall down to the pit of her stomach.

"Yes? Ae, is everything okay?" the man's deep voice became present in the call, his tone laced with worry.

"Where are you??!"

Through her unstable voice, the male knew she was panicking. By the way she breathed her words, her sniffles, and time duration it took her to respond— it was all evident.

"I'm grocery shopping, I noticed there wasn't much food at home, I'll be there in a minute, please wait for me." the male explained calmly, making sure to not make the girl on the line stress out even more.

"Okay." she hung up.

The cellular device that was being held by her ear— fell to the floor.

Along with the girls body.