15.Epilogue One

Steppin' Out Tonight // Joe Jackson

Matt

I can tell that Hannah suspects nothing when we pull up to her mom's house. She's talking away about how hungry she is, not stopping once to comment on all of the cars parked in front of the house.

Seriously, these people need a lesson in how to throw a surprise party. Rule number one: Don't park in front of the house. How hard is that? I'm biting down on my frustration, especially when I notice that my mom's car is the one right smack across from the front door.

"Can we get donuts on the way back? I'm really craving a fresh donut."

"Um, yeah. Sure." I pocket my keys and grab her hand. Out of the corner of my eye I can see her other hand on her swollen belly. Six months pregnant and still the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

"And then maybe some ice cream. For a snack. Tonight."

"I think there's ice cream in the garage freezer, baby." Hannah and I both moved out of the dorms and into my house. Having both of us around has really helped my mom, I think. She still hasn't started any kind of therapy, but I have hope. Even Mark is spending more time at home, although his buddy, Ryan, is practically a permanent fixture now. He's cool. The kid loves football so I can't complain.

Hannah and I reach the front porch causing my nerves to spike. She reaches for the front door, but before she can turn the nob, it's ripped away from her as the door is flung open.

"Hey! You're here!" Kyra stands on the other side, grinning from ear to ear.

Standing behind Hannah, I give Kyra a "what the hell?" look. Because what the hell? Doesn't anyone know how to throw a surprise party? I did my part. I kept her busy all day, brushing off her requests to go home and take a nap because I didn't want her catching wind of anything from anyone. I didn't trust my mom or Mark to keep their mouths shut. And for good reason, apparently. This surprise sucks so far.

"Yeah. I'm here. Why are you here?" Hannah asks as Kyra grabs her by the arm and pulls her into the house.

"I have an emergency outfit situation. Let's go up to your room so I can show you. I've been waiting here for an hour."

"How did you know I was coming over?"

I'm grinding my teeth at Kyra's foot-in-mouth marathon.

"Oh, it's Sunday. You always stop by the house for family dinner. I needed an in-person opinion, not facetime. So here I am."

I have to give it to Kyra. That was a quick recovery. She walks behind Hannah up the stairs and looks back at me over her shoulder, mouthing something I can't make out.

What? I mouth back.

She rolls her eyes and mouths slower.

Outside. Backyard.

The two continue up the stairs, Hannah visibly starting to waddle with her belly, which no lie, I love. I head out back to find everyone at tables with little yellow and black bumble bee decorations. The "What Will Baby Bee" theme for our combined baby shower slash gender reveal was Hannah's mom's idea. It's pretty cute.

Yellow and white daisy's fill the centerpieces. A candy and desert table, all in the bumble bee colors, is next to a baby name suggestion jar, already filled with little white strips of paper. These people can't actually think we'll use one of their suggestions. Because, no way. Thank fuck that none of my teammates were invited. They'd have made ridiculous suggestions.

Like Otis.

As if I'd name my kid, Otis.

"Matt!" My mom whisper shouts from the side of the house, waving me over to her.