16 | Unsettled Hearts

A light tap on my shoulder bolts me out of my unplanned sleep.

"A guy is sleeping on our front porch," Daisy whispers, tightening the laces of her running shoes. She's dressed in yoga pants and a tank top.

Forcing my drowsy self upright, I squint at her and suddenly realize who would be the guy. I pick up my phone lying on the floor beside me and check the time. It's 6 am, and my parents would wake up any moment now. Daisy's ready for her morning run, and Dad will be joining the cue very soon. Before anyone else sees you, I've to send you off. Now or forever?

"It looks like you both ran through the same shit." Daisy pins me with a questioning look. Her gaze shifts from my face to the half-opened door separating me from you, Augustus. "Do we know him?"

"You don't, but I know him," I say, pulling myself back on my feet and darting around Daisy and out of the house. I turn back to face my puzzled sister. "I'll handle him. Just make sure Dad doesn't know about this, okay."

She gestures to zip up her lips and follows after me.

The first thing that my eyes capture is how peaceful you look with your long eyelashes brushing your sharp cheekbones and light dimples biting your cheeks. Your back against the door, legs spread out, and head leaning against the doorframe- explains you haven't stepped away from the door the whole night.

You wear a gentle smile even when you're sleeping. Your man bun has come undone, and your golden strands fall rebelliously over your face. I kneel beside your sleeping frame, my fingers clutching my dress tightly to avoid the urge to brush that hair off your face. Because I know behind those golden locks is a face that will always be the cause of my heartache.

"Augustus," My voice seems to have lost its soul.

You release a soft groan, shifting in your position and blinking your amber eyes open. As soon as they meet my face, I can see the urgency replacing the drowsiness, and your dimples bite deeper into your cheeks. You finger-comb your hair back and push yourself upright with a loud yawn, still maintaining that heart-melting smile of yours.

"Violet," you mumble, reaching your hand to brush my cheeks the way you used to three years back. For a moment, I feel like chasing back the same feeling I used to, but then the flashbacks of your heartless disapproval and the memory of you letting go- run on repeat. So I pull myself back on my feet and away from your touch, not missing the hurt in your hopeful eyes.

"You've to leave Augustus," I cross my arms across my chest and gesture towards the gate. Your eyes follow my movements, trying to seek the conflict in them. I'm sure there's none. "You shouldn't have stayed here all night."

You push yourself almost instantly and take a step closer to me. If I had any strength to stay away, that crumbles the moment your familiar scent hits my nose, and the need to hug you scratches my heart. I hold my ground and regard you with a firm resolve. You let me go, Augustus. You didn't give us a chance to protect our love, and that hurt still lingers in every corner of my heart. I shake my head and turn around to leave. "Fine, I will leave."

"Wait," you say when I almost dodge Daisy. She watches us by the door with a confused look on her face. "Violet, I need to..." your voice is a little shaky. "I-I need to tell you that..."

I wait to hear what you need to tell me, but you stare at me with a gloomy face.

"I know I shouldn't have ghosted you all these years, but-"

"Great, if you know, then it's settled." I spin around to avoid your pleading eyes. "I don't want you to apologize. Nothing can change the fact that you disappeared on me without a goodbye and cut me out completely."