Chapter 12-Sky High View

It had been a couple of days since Hiccup had been willing to train them. The Vikings would go out and train off-grounds but it wasn't the same, Astrid felt she was lacking without any proper instruction. Fishlegs didn't even try to push meatlug, and the twins and snotlout don't do anything. So when they got word hiccup was ready to train again they all got pretty excited.
Astrid was the first to arrive per usual, with snotlout being last. They waited to see if he was going to come in on the back of toothless, or if he was just waiting in one of the cages. They waited for a while until one finally spoke up.
"So training today or what?" Tuffnut asked as if anyone else would know.
Astrid looked around a bit more, "I'm not sure I thought he would have shown up by now."
Everyone looked around, but then a horn blared. There was a dragon attack. The small group of Vikings all looked at each other, before getting on their dragons and flying out.
They spotted a wild monstrous nightmare, lit aflame and struggling between a group of Vikings. It started to blast pillars of fire at all of them.
"Come on stormfly!" Astrid urged her dragon, and they landed just a bit away. She went to run over, but a plasma blast pushed all the Vikings back and away from the wild dragon.
Toothless came quickly on the ground, landing smoothly and letting hiccup jump off. He ran in between toothless and the monstrous nightmare. Looking up at it, and took out his sword and lit it. Everyone was confused until he started to wave it around. The wild dragon followed the sword with its eyes, and slowly the fire on its own body started to deplete.
"That's it, see it's ok, I don't want to hurt you," hiccup spoke in a soft tone. The dragon trilled, lowering itself closer to the ground a bit.
"Yeah, there you go," hiccup whipped the sword down so the fire snuffed, "I'm not going to hurt you."
Hiccup sheathed the sword and started to walk closer, putting his hand out.
Astrid went to the front of the group and tried to get to hiccup, but toothless was circling. He growled at her keeping her back, so she just had to watch.
Hiccup got closer and stopped where his hand was just inches from its snout. "It's ok," hiccup eased, and the dragon put its nose into his hand. He let out a sigh of relief and the tension dropped from his shoulders, and pet the monstrous nightmare. Toothless turned, seeing everything was alright he came over, trilling to the wild dragon. Hiccup smiled at both of them, and then looking to toothless, "why don't we take this guy to the edge, bud?"
Astrid came up, being worried he was about to leave for good.
"Hiccup, you still have trained with us," worry laced her voice as she came over.
Hiccup looked over as he mounted toothless, and was going to say something. But then toothless made a small roar at her and went over, shoving her up and onto her. She grunted as she hit against toothless' back, and toothless turned back to hiccup and tilted his head to his rider.
Hiccup looked at toothless, and then to Astrid, "I'm sorry I don't know what's wrong with him right now."
Toothless groaned and came up next to hiccup, and roared a little again. Hiccup was confused and toothless let out a snort and shook his head, and pushed into hiccup. He stumbled and got on, being very confused.
"Toothless what do you," hiccup began to ask, but then toothless took off, "toothless!? What are you doing!"
Astrid sat up screaming, and hiccup turned and looked at her. He grabbed her with one hand and turned her around.
"Are you ok?" He asked being cautious when getting her turned towards him.
She could only nod. Now that she wasn't feeling like she was going to fall off toothless, she looked around.
"What is he doing?!" Astrid asked, trying to hold onto something on the saddle.
"I don't know!" Hiccup admitted, "he
Isn't normally like this!"
Toothless roared, and the monstrous nightmare flew up and started to follow him. Hiccup and Astrid looked back, seeing the dragon and how far they already were from Berk.
Astrid looked at hiccup, extremely worried, "where are we going, why aren't we going back."
"Because this little jerk wants to go back to the edge," hiccup looked at toothless, "and you felt like Astrid souls could with."
Toothless trilled in agreement, looking back at both of them. He let his tongue flop out of his gummy mouth.
Hiccup chuckled at what he was doing, and glanced at Astrid, "we can take you back if you want to."
"No," Astrid quickly responded, and she rephrased it, "I mean, I'd like to see the edge, just how long will we be gone?"
"It's about a two days trip from here and then back. Since we have to let toothless rest," hiccup explained simply.
Astrid looked back as Berk started to fade over the horizon, "I'm sure that'll be fine," She hoped.
"Great," hiccup looked forward again, seeing toothless out of the corner of his eye, tilt his head. He had the big pleading eyes, and hiccup smiled, "And why don't we show you how a real dragon flies."
Astrid was confused until toothless started to fly straight up. She felt herself slipping and she grabbed the first thing she could reach, around hiccup. She held on tight as they flew higher, and higher. She squeezed her eyes closed once they flew into the clouds, mumbling out a small, "this is really high, hiccup."
"I know, but look," he encouraged and assured her, "it will be ok."
Slowly, Astrid began to open her eyes as toothless leveled out again. And what she saw was beyond what she could ever imagine. The clouds were now below them. A smooth sea of white clouds that had shaded the sun from them. As she looked up more there were huge fluffy clouds, that shaded the sun in most places. The bright blue sky peeking through the sky, wherever a sunbeam pierced the clouds above them apart. She stared in amazement, she'd never seen something so beautiful.
Toothless began to dive up and down in the ocean of clouds below them. Astrid felt the coolness of the clouds against her skin and smiled. She looked around and saw the monstrous nightmare looking at them confused. Only its head was peaking out of the clouds, so as they bobbed up and down all she saw was its head tilted at them as it flew along. Then it began to follow what toothless was doing, and Astrid laughed.
Hiccup looked back to see what was going on and chuckled upon seeing the wild dragon following toothless' every move. He turned and patted toothless on the head, "hey bud, why don't we just stay above these clouds. We don't want to make our new buddies flight sick."
Toothless grumbled slightly, before leveling out above them. The sights were still amazing, even to hiccup. It was calm up there, but he couldn't feel more free than he was up there. He sat up straight and let go of the saddle, just letting his hands sit in front of him as he took in the feeling.
Astrid watched as he did this, she gently let go from around his waist. She felt he needed this moment.
He didn't realize she let go until he opened his eyes again. He glanced back at her, apologizing, "sorry, I didn't mean to zone out there."
"Don't apologize," she answered, before asking, "what were you thinking about?"
"I don't know," he turned forested again, taking hold of the saddle, "I just feel like I..."
"Belong here? Soaring through the sky, on the back of a dragon that you bond with so well that you can function as one?" Astrid asked, a bit sarcastically.
Hiccup chuckled a bit, looking out to the sky, before finally responding, "yeah. Exactly."
Astrid looked at him, she knew he couldn't see her, but she smiled anyway. She put her arms around him again and leaned against him. She felt him tensed for a short moment before he relaxed again. She let out a relaxed breath and took in the lovely scenery.