Father

"Fathering is not something that perfect men do, but something that perfects the man." —Frank Pittman

____________________________

*~THOMAS~*

He had missed them. He knew that he would. He had been so distracted, he got lost a few times. Had Morgen even been able to get them out?  Couldn't he have gotten them both out? No. That wasn't the plan. Not her plan. It was only ever about Elis and his safety.

He wanted to wait for them to circle back but he knew that he couldn't. She'd kill him(probably literally) if his hesitation cost him or their son.

She had always talked about a time like this, his little warrior. She always had a plan. Knew what was right. Like she had a direct line to God. He guessed she did.

They hadn't brought much with them:

•His .38 and all the rounds he could find,
•her Father's .45.
•The .22.
•Extra gas from the garage.
•A fishing pole with gear that he hastily threw into their SUV.
•He added some books and camping gear. Remy and Morgan had left almost everything for them, he saw. Of course they did.
•He quickly grabbed Elis's stuffed puppy dog and his blanket...
•And the wallet sized picture of  her that he kept on his dressing table. The one where she was showing Elis his first real snow. Good snows didn't happen in Arkansas very often, so it was a treat. Their smiles said it all. He remembered how Elis had loved it, until he didn't and begged to go back in. She had made them hot chocolate afterwards, and he called into work to let them know he couldn't come in. Thomas couldn't remember feeling more happy than he was that day. Maybe the day Elis was born. Certainly the day he married her.

•Then the 4x6 that was just her. All blue eyes and dark hair, and almost a ghost of a smile. That was his girl. He almost left it and promised he would see the real thing again. But he couldn't. That one, he slid into his jacket pocket with the other.

•Before he left he picked up the beautiful leather bound Bible she had gotten him for their anniversary

•Before he left he picked up the beautiful leather bound Bible she had gotten him for their anniversary. He always felt he was too busy to read it, and he believed, no need to beat that horse. He stuffed it into his backpack, kissed Elis, secured his seatbelt and covered him with his winter coat.

—-

He didn't know how many times he had circled. And then he heard a voice coming through the radio. The military had secured a college in Nebraska.

That was it. She had to be headed there. He wanted to find her, find Morgen, their mom, go together, but he knew she would never forgive him if he didn't get their boy to safety.

So he drove. And tried to steel his heart. But she was always the hard one....

His heart dropped when he saw the line outside the college but it looked promising. He didn't dare to hope. He had been driving for  7 or so hours, not counting all his circling. Elis had fallen asleep, thank God. They had been so lucky to have made it.