A New Friend

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot father with a smile and a gun." —Al Capone
____________________________

REMY

Remy woke almost a day and a half later to Daryl kicking her boot. She was in her room, in bed. The sun wasn't quite up yet.

"Git up," Daryl mumbled. "Been in bed for near on 30 hours."

She sat up slowly, swinging her legs over the side. Her water bottle was waiting for her on the small nightstand next to the bed. She opened the top and greedily gulped it down. Her lips were chapped and she had a mild headache.

Daryl reached in her backpack and grabbed the bottle of pills from the top. He handed one to her wordlessly and she popped it in her mouth and washed it down, then stood. When she did, her head spun, and everything went white. Daryl caught her before she stumbled. He held her up, and a moment later everything cleared. She was still very sore and unsteady.

"You gonna make it? Cuz yer supposed to earn yer keep today. Been dodging all the work in bed."

"What are we doing?"

"Gonna do some huntin' maybe some fishin'."

"We can go back outside? You know a few of those people escaped."

"Rick thinks he got 'em," Daryl said, " and any survivors are probably long gone by now. 'Sides, you got nothin' to worry about. I won't be far."

"How far are we going? And how long will we be gone?"

"Probably just the one night."

"Dax?"

"Let him stay with Maggie and Glenn, or the kid. Don't need the noise."

"Yeah or the extra body to protect. Where are we going?"

"New spot. Glenn pointed it out. Got a good water source and the woods around are pretty thick. We'll drive out a way southeast. You done with the questions? We gotta get movin'."

"I'm showering first," Remy told Daryl. "It's not negotiable."

"Make it quick," he said, rolling his eyes.

After washing, conditioning, and shaping her curls, she dressed in blue skinny jeans, a grey tee, her old blue flannel, and her olive drab jacket. She really needed a thicker coat, but layers would be fine for now. She put on a pair of thick wool socks, and pulled on the hiking boots Daryl found. She tucked her ring under the collar of her tee. When she woke, she was happy to see that it hadn't been lost in their battle with the dead.

When she came down the stairs, Daryl was nowhere to be found. She shouldered her pack, and opened the door. Daryl had borrowed a pickup and was loading a tent and some poles into the back of it, as well as a few coolers.

Remy found Dax on the porch. She dug his leash out and walked him over to Rick's. She thought of leaving him with Maggie and Glenn, but they were so busy. Carl was the best choice. As she started to knock on the door, she remembered. Carl. He had lost his eye.