All Hell

"Survival can be summed up in three words- never give up. That's the heart of it really. Just keep trying."
—Bear Grylls
____________________________

DARYL

Daryl couldn't believe it. He had taken a chance on those people and they had betrayed him. He shouldn't be surprised but he was. He couldn't believe that in this world there was still a small part of him that held on tight to optimism. But there was. And it had just taken a hit.

He traced his way back to the walker with the full face helmet. That's where he had gone down. What was that in the dust? He picked it up. A metal sign read Pattrick Fuel Company. That was the same place he had been taken earlier.

He went back up the trail for a spell and found a tanker truck. Behind the wheel was a walker. He itched to raise his bow, but it wasn't there. He felt like he had lost a piece of himself. No time to dwell. He killed it with his knife instead and threw it from the cab.

He rolled the windows down to help calm the smell, and carefully drove back to where he and the others had been ambushed. That 'Wade' character had said they were gonna pack it in, but maybe there were more people still out. Daryl went back to the scene of the crash, but his friends were nowhere to be seen. Luckily for him, Sasha and Abraham had left a trail.

Daryl followed the dead walkers and found a door marked 'diXon'. He knocked 3 times, and heard footsteps. He waited for the rotters to get closer before he pulled open the door. But wait. Those weren't walkers shuffling. The door opened and there was Sasha, smiling. Red towered behind her.

They stood there a moment just staring at each other, Daryl could feel his own smirk making its way across his lips when he looked away. "We gonna stand here grinnin', or we gonna get back an' see what's goin' on?"

Sasha shook her head and grabbed his shoulder. "Let's go," she said.

Daryl drove. Sasha and Abraham made eyes at each other. Daryl couldn't be bothered by it, cuz they had scored one of the coolest things he'd seen since the whole world went t**s up.

They were about halfway to Alexandria when Daryl tried the walkie again. "Rick, you copy?" Nothing but static. He tried again. "Anybody there?" Nothing. Maybe they were too far out.

A breath later, garbled speech came in through the static, but he couldn't make it out.

"I can't hear ya, try again!" More static and then something that turned the blood in his veins cold.

A small, choked "help".

—-

REMY

Remy woke in the afternoon. She only got a few winks, but with lots of water and her meds, she felt pretty good.  She walked outside, hearing the inescapable roar of the dead. For two days, two and a half now, it was all anyone could hear.

She walked through town looking for something to do. She had yet to reopen the library. It hadn't seemed like the right time. Besides, reading and research was the last thing on anyone's mind.

Maggie was still up on the guard post. As she neared the square, a piece of paper lay on the ground near the duck pond. Remy picked it up. "Prayer Circle by solar panels Today @ 1". It was well past one, but Remy was glad that someone was taking the time to get folk together to pray.