TWO

I didn't realise the true measure of my dread until the day of. I wished I had a week longer to mentally prepare for this nonsensical night. It was now above all other moments that I wished my pride was smaller than it actually was, maybe then I could play the role of the heartbroken girl and guilt-trip Theo into letting me stay home. 

Ash, bless their gorgeous, magnificent heart, agreed to make the fare to Chelsea and rendezvous at the bus stop and then walk to the tube station. 

I got permission from my mother the night before. Since I'm not a fool, I didn't see the logic behind letting her know the exact details of my whereabouts. Seeing as it was her date night with Father, she was alright with letting me leave. She always felt awfully guilty leaving me in a large house alone. 

And even as I sat in the train, listening to the air slicing all around the train, one earbud in my ear, I still felt hesitant. I didn't want to be anywhere near that party; something deep in my core cringed at the idea of being anywhere near Samuel's house regardless of whatever promise of 'good terms' we made. 

Suddenly, the train came to a halt. Considering how Ashton and I gave up our seats for an elderly man from the north and a pregnant woman, we didn't have much shoving ahead of us to get to the door.  As we tapped our cards against the barrier, stepping outside into the bitter cold of Kensington. Despite it being spring, it was far less pleasant than the springs of France or Spain. April's spring in Britain is just a shitty sequel to winter. 

We trekked through the windy streets of Kensington. Anderson's house was in an awfully secluded area of his town, and of course, there were no bus stops to take us directly to his neighbourhood. Instead, we walked and crossed a ridiculous amount of streets until my GPS decided we were fifty metres away. 

It would be funny if I got a random heart attack right now, I thought at thirty metres. 

"You alright there?" Ashton asked upon noticing something was off. 

I didn't want to admit how much the idea of being at Samuel's again unsettled me. I didn't want to be there, but I also detested the idea of a building having this much of an effect on me. If anything, my hatred for perceivable weakness was stronger than my discomfort. 

"Yeah, I am."

 15 metres. 

Nothing's going to happen. 

10 metres. 

Nothing's going to happen. 

5 metres. 

Nothing's going to happen. 

We have arrived. 

Nothing's going to happen. 

I'm going to a party with Ash and everything is going to be alright... 

Right?