SIX

I used Bella's observation to help me find the high school. 

"The school was, just like most other things, off the highway" 

I had never been more grateful for the awkward little teen than at that moment precisely. I noticed when I parked that the school lacked the proper atmosphere of an educational institution. Almost as if it suddenly dawned upon the townspeople that they needed a school and decided that a bunch of residential-looking buildings would suffice. I walked into building three, which I knew was the front office due to Bella's unknowing help. Inquisitive eyes followed me from my car door to the entrance of the front office. 

"Morning, miss," I called to try and grab the attention of the ginger lady behind the desk. She wore a baby blue t-shirt that made me feel instant relief that I wasn't dressed too informally. 

A short expression of bewilderment took over her features instantly and my palms start sweating profusely— what if I was meant to go to the school on the reservation? I panicked but decided to calm down and play it cool. 

"I'm Kai Armin," I introduced to, hopefully, clear the air, "I'm meant to start here today," I said with a hint of uncertainty that made it seem like I was asking her for confirmation, though I hoped she hadn't caught that. A look of realisation took over her previous expression of bewilderment. 

"Of course," she said in a soft feminine voice that lightly quivered, "here's your schedule and a map of the building, sugar." 

"Thank you, have a great day!" I thanked her as I excused myself.

Oh, the administration really screwed me over with this schedule. Trigonometry first period on a Monday? What a lovely start to the day. A friendly voice called from outside my field of vision abruptly pulling me out of my fit frustration. I turned around to see a girl about several inches taller than me, definitely tall enough to be a runway model. She had dark, long raven hair that complimented her warm honey-toned skin with a small pink twinge to her cheeks. 

"Hey! You're the new student, right?" she asked as more of a statement than a question. It was getting quite irksome how everyone but me was expecting my arrival.  

"Yes. Kai Armin," I stuck my hand for her to shake hoping for an introduction in return. 

"Angela Weber," she introduced taking my hand. Bella's half-arsed description of Angela did her no justice. 

"It's lovely to meet you."

"You have an interesting accent," she observed, "you're not American?" she asked, I knew the question had been on the tip of her tongue since I first spoke. 

"I'm from London," pretending not to know too much about her as I asked her the same, "where are you from, Angela?" 

I used her name to show that I had been paying attention when she introduced herself. 

"Oh, I was born and raised here," she said with a slight hint of sadness like she wished she grew up elsewhere. 

"That's really cool," I said with enthusiasm, I remembered Bella mentioning that Angela was shy so I tried my best to carry the conversation after the small talk. 

"I always wanted to grow up in a small town," I didn't. 

"By the way, Angela, what's your first lesson today?" I asked her, steering the conversation away from its previous introductory tone. I crossed my fingers hoping she was with me in trig. 

"I have trigonometry," she said. My saviour was a tall dark-haired girl with rectangular glasses. 

"Great, me too!" I exclaimed, this time, not faking my joy, "would you like to head there together?"