ONE

"I had never given much thought to how I would die, but dying in the place of someone I love doesn't seem like such a bad way to go."

Those words had an unequivocal grasp on my little prepubescent brain the moment I read them in my primary school's library. The previous owner had a custom cover made for the novel so I didn't have to deal with the constant teasing and deriding that I would've gotten from boys and girls my age if I brandished the cover proudly. 

Even as I stood in my mid-late teens, my interest remained a secret; and the fact that I memorised each word on every page of that romance novel was a matter that I was going to keep on sub rosa if it was the last thing I was going to do. 

The bell rang loudly and students began shuffling, shoving their books into their bags and almost running out to the canteen. 

"Do not forget, the lab report is due this Monday!" Mrs. Johnson called over my classmates' loud chatter. 

When I was out of the classroom, I heard a deep, somewhat boyish voice calling after me. 

"Kai!" he called. 

I turned around to see the tall, brawny frame of Theodore Mackey calling after me with a slight jog to his steps. 

Theodore Mackey looked like the main love interest of a 90s chick-flick. With his sandy blond hair, striking green eyes and athletic build, it was difficult not to see why girls swooned when they saw Theo. It was even more difficult not to understand why girls stayed with Theo. 

Smart, good and true as he is, Theo wasn't a bad boy or an empty-headed jock. I knew why other girls remained drooling after him even after the initial stun his looks gave out; and I knew why I stayed friends with him. 

"Are you going to the motive at Anderson's?" Theo asked, snapping me out of my daze. 

"I'll think about it," I shrugged, clearly hesitant. 

"Oh!" Theo said, remembering last year's ordeal. 

"Yeah." 

As much as I tried to remain on good terms with Samuel after our break-up, it was just so awkward. Neither of us had been interested in the other and neither of us knew how to go about it. I was sure he started seeing someone else while we were dating, not that it bothered me in the slightest. I fancied someone else for half our relationship. It was just an all-around shitshow. And I was positive Theo was playing up my reluctance to severe heartbreak flashbacks or whatever. 

Kate came from behind me, looping her arm around mine. I was grateful for her company which made Theo forget about his train of thought. And even more grateful for my heart that managed to remain in its place and calm, a stark difference from what used to happen last year. 

 Her auburn locks, chocolatey eyes and marvellous pink lips were all it used to make my heart stutter when she'd look my way. Whenever she'd laugh in my general direction, I could almost hear the butterflies fluttering their wings in my stomach. I was thankful for whatever deity that ceased my extreme bodily and emotional reactions to Kate. It was hard enough being as close to Kate as I was while also having feelings for her. 

My body and nerves were still calm even as we sat down with Harry who was devouring our school's lunch like it was the best thing created by man since the Sex Pistols. 

I loosened my tie, Theo and Kate following in suit. 

Theo, once again, asked, "are you guys going to the party at Samuel's?" 

"No," Kate said firmly, shaking her head, glancing at me briefly. 

"Maybe," Harry shrugged. "You and Anderson are mates, aren't you?"