NINETEEN

I got ready as I tried to find a put-together way to carry my books while my rucksack was drying on my dining area's chair. After numerous hours spent crying over lost notes and ruined books, I regained my rationale. After all, there's nothing like a good meltdown to help retrieve your logical thinking.

I tried to lessen the number of binders and notebooks I carried, after all, it'll only be more hassle for me. I stepped out of my front door, books awkwardly balanced on one arm as I came face to face with yesterday's enigma of a man.

"Good morning," he stiffly announced.

"'Morning, Edward," I smiled.

"Would you mind if I drove you to school today?" he asked hesitantly as he pointed back to his flashy car on my driveway.

"And the rest of your family?" I asked.

"They took Rosalie's car," he informed me. "So would you like to ride with me to school?"

"Sure."

His driving was just as slow as it was when he drove me home the very first time. His heater was turned up all the way, I could see that he found solace in the warmth. He cleared his throat, an action he didn't need to do but nonetheless, it turned my attention to him.

"I know I was apprehensive of the idea at first," he began timidly, "but I would like to give our friendship a chance."

He sucked in a deep inhale— another purposeless gesture, "Kai, would you like to be friends?"

"One condition."

"Anything."

I could tell he was starting to regret accepting my request without much questioning.

"You let me take control of one itty bitty part of your life," I said.

"And what aspect would that be?"

I pursed my lips together tightly as I glanced back at him nervously.

"What aspect would that be, Kai?" he demanded.

"Your love life."

"Why?" He sounded appalled.

"Because I know something that you don't," I said auspiciously. "If we're going to be friends then I'll need you to trust me."

He bit his lip like he was regretting asking to befriend me in the first place.

His lips were small, though not at all lacking plumpness. Although he didn't have blood coursing through his veins, his lips were an intense rose colour— making them look bitten and fragile.

"Please, Edward?"

"My love life is hardly exciting, Kai," he reasoned, "there won't be much to do."

"Whatever," I sighed. "Are you going to the Spring Dance?"

"Are you...?" he trailed off, leaving me to finish the sentence mentally.

"No," I responded quickly. He flinched at the assured quickness of my response.

"Are you going to the Spring Dance?" I repeated.

"I do not see the point in attending a dance if I do not have a date," he shrugged, "surely that defeats the whole purpose of dances."

"Have you thought of asking someone?" I suggested.

"It's a girls' choice."

"Yes, but I doubt many girls will care about that small detail if you were the one asking."