Epilogue

"Where is she?" they muttered under their breath. 

"Oh for Christ's sake," they huffed, exasperated. 

Ashton's hands grew clammier as they roamed around the empty house to which they'd been given a spare key. Ashton paced around aimlessly in the kitchen, contemplating whether a five-hour-long absence is worthy of interrupting Mr. Armin's work dinner. 

"Fuck it," Ashton grumbled as they dialled Mr. Armin's American number into the home phone. 

"The number you have dialled is currently unavaila—

Figures. 

As a last resort, Ashton called Ricardo. 

Ring. 

Ring. 

Ring. 

"Good evening, Ricardo speaking.

"Oh, thank goodness," Ashton sighed. 

"Ashton," Ricardo spoke in alarm, "to what do I owe you the pleasure?" he said, humorously sounding ceremonious. 

"Is Luis free by any chance?"

"He's having a meeting over dinner. He might be free at around nine or later," Ricardo said. "If it's urgent, I can pass along the message after his meeting. I am his manager after all.

"It's Kai. It's been five— going into six— hours and she's still not home," Ashton burst, shouting in sheer panic. 

"Calm down, Ashton," Ricardo attempted to console, "I'm sure there's an entirely reasonable explanation for this. She lives alone now. It's entirely possible that she went out to buy her own groceries or something. Don't panic.

"That's not possible, Ricardo!" Ashton growled in between gritted teeth, desperately trying not to shout. "Her car is here!" 

"What?

Ricardo visibly sounded panicked now. 

"I don't know what to do. Her car is here, her tea is cold and her bed looks like it's been slept in." 

 Ricardo regained some of his poise and rationale. 

"Don't worry. We chose the location of Kai's house very strategically," Ricardo informed Ashton, sounding somewhat monotonous, as if he were placing extra pressure on himself not to lose his head. 

"Right across from the house lives the Chief of Police in town. Go and ask him for help. I'll go into the meeting and speak to Luis." Ricardo's voice broke on the last word, going up half an octave.

Ashton took Ricardo's advice and slammed the phone down into its designated space, not caring if it fell from its spot on the wall, much less about saying goodbye to Ricardo. 

Ashton trekked outside, pulling up the hood of their cotton jumper. Ashton couldn't understand why Kai liked this town best out of all the other ones her parents took her to. Kai complained about London's rain, but it wasn't like this place was any better. 

In the five-minute hike outside, Ashton was entirely soaked, their white sneakers caked with mud and their socks fully drenched. At that moment, Ashton decided they hated Forks entirely. 

In front of the chief's house were two cars sitting on the driveway. There was a red pickup that looked like it was in desperate need of an upgrade and a distinct police cruiser. Calmed by the knowledge that they were in the right house, Ashton rang the doorbell.