EIGHT

The rest of the week was just as much of a drag as the first day but it was a relief to say I was almost at the weekend

The rest of the week was just as much of a drag as the first day but it was a relief to say I was almost at the weekend. It was safe to say that the task of picking out my clothes had gotten easier, after noticing what girls at school wore, it was getting surprisingly easier to fit the image of a 2000s girl. Ironically, picking out my clothes felt like playing dress-up on a film set.

I had the clothing bit mastered but I still felt like I was drowning in high school. American films really weren't dramatizing anything when they said high school was complicated. I thought Lauren didn't hate me because of how comfortable she was with gossiping around me, but I was proven wrong on Tuesday. The moment I set my tray of dry salad down, I received the nastiest scowl from Lauren. I was unsure what I did to set off the platinum blonde so much but she seemed to be severely bitter.

I had gotten on a first-name basis with Jessica within my first week. Jessica stood at about five feet but her chattiness made her seem far taller and larger, she had large frizzy dark brown hair that had clearly been permed and large blue bug-like eyes that seemed to examine everything around her for potential gossip.

Bella and I rarely spoke, and if we did, it was always me initiating the conversation to be nice. Perhaps I'm talking out of my arse but she was avoiding me. Ever since Jessica's 'revelation' the other day, the tension between the little brunette and I could be cut with a knife, the rare glances I ever got from her were cold and displeased. I knew it wasn't my fault, but I couldn't help but feel like I was indirectly taking away the one thing that made Forks worth staying for— in her books at least.

Skipping Gym had become a routine for me. Not because of the whole Bella-and-Edward situation but because Coach Clapp-Them-Cheeks had some of the least enjoyable lessons known to man. Dodgeball with those firm balls felt like a broken nose and a lawsuit with an angry parent waiting to happen. Though, as pleasant as skipping Gym was, I did need to start attending Gym though, it was starting to really drag down my grades.

On Friday, I took my usual seat next to Angela and the table seemed to be raving about something I didn't know of. I didn't bother asking. I was new to the friend group, I had no reason to stick my nose in their plans. I was happy enough that they invited me to sit with them and I didn't look like a freak sitting alone in the lunchroom.

Halfway through my salad, the liquidy, oddly sweet ranch was no longer doing a good job of hydrating the sad meal like I had been relying on it for the past week. Realising I was parched, I got up from my seat with the intention of myself a water bottle. However, what I hadn't intended to happen was for Mike Newton to follow me.

"Hey, Kai," he said to grab my attention as I stood in the lunch line.

"Mike," I nodded.

"So, um," he seemed to be stalling and I had no interest in standing there and waiting for him to figure out how he should phrase whatever he wanted to say.