16| solace

Maybe it's the little touch of her love, that relieves the agonising pain that burns his heart.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Request(s): there were precisely no requests that matched with the storyline (except for some who requested for f2l prompts), just a random train of thoughts that I expressed in words.

Genres/Warnings: friends to lovers (f2l) au, roommates to lovers (sorta), somewhat domestic!taelice, slow burn, hurt-comfort, references to past character deaths, grief — angst and a smidge of fluff, no more spoilers so read it till the end :)

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Word Count: 5.7k (yeah take that, it's long!)

«NARRATION»

Kim Taehyung braced for the darkness.

He was certain, that all the light in his life had incinerated and there was nothing left but sheer darkness — the shadows that consoled him.

Just days ago, he remembered being snuggled up against the arms of the lady he loved with all his heart, who would read her novel as he laid his head on her lap to have his hair stroked softly every night. He had dreamt that he shall be spending the rest of his life with her, Aera.

The fairytale was ever so convincing, but couldn't withstand the tragic mishap that burst the bubble open with such a speed that Taehyung hadn't seen it coming.

The day's incident was clear in his mind, like a bunch of photographic reels playing inside the projector in his mind. It was a normal day like no other, with Aera leaving for her firm before giving a usual peck on Taehyung's cheek.

Around noon, while he was in midst of his shoot for an upcoming drama, he received a call.

There had been an accident.

An unfamiliar voice spoke from the other end of the line and Taehyung could feel a burning lump form in his throat, his heart being constricted in his chest as he jumped in his place.

His visions felt hazy and the sounds from the surroundings almost cancelled out, with a perturbed echo of the voice in his head.

"I-I'll be there." He paused before putting the phone away in his pocket, to rush out from the shooting venue, mumbling an "emergency call" to his manager, only to disappear around the corner with his chauffeur.

All the while the drive to the hospital seemed like a step closer to death itself; his heart pounding in dangerous anticipation of Aera's health, the many questions in his head to which he had no answers for.

A sea of fans engulfed him as he made his way through the crowd. If it weren't for his bodyguard, he wouldn't have possibly made through the entrance doors at all. None of this served a purpose — the damage had been done. His celebrity face had been recognised and soon, the involvement of the tabloids and media would add bulk to his situation if it hadn't been burdensome enough.

"Mr Kim, Ms Aera is being operated in the ICU, we can't permit you to see her yet." The nurse said in an apologetic tone as Taehyung collapsed on one of the waiting seats, his face buried into the shoulder of his bodyguard, latching onto him for support as every gruelling minute had passed.