Chapter 16

Omgg sorry this one took so long!! Anyways, Spy School At Sea came out(Stuart Gibb's new book) and it was amazing!! Definitely recommend it. Can't wait for him to write more books!!

Ben's POV

It was pitch black. There was muffled breathing, it sounded as though everyone was asleep. My wrist stung and burned. I felt around with my hands and realized they were tied, forcibly. That explained the rope burns. What had they done to us? Jessica! Where was she? I had such hatred for her. My anger burned inside of me, but I calmed down. I had to sort out my thoughts before anyone realized I was awake.

So Jessica was the mole. But how had I not seen her? How was she getting the information? How was she following us? How was she in Dubai and the CIA at once? There had to be someone else. I had so many questions in my head, it was hard to control all of them. At this point, I just wanted to scream.

"Ben?" I heard someone say. Though the voice was tired, I could recognize it from a mile away. The infinite scent that seemed to last forever of lilacs and gunpowder gave it away.

"Erica?" I asked.

"Shh, Ben! Yes, it's Erica."

"Oh okay, sorry," I said. "Where is everyone else?"

"I don't know. All I know is it's us two, trapped in, whatever this is."

I gagged, it smelled awful, like dead bodies. "Ugh, what is that smell?"

"I don't know, I smell it too, just try and ignore it, right now we have to focus on the main problem. Jessica. I knew never to trust her." She seemed annoyed.

"I know, and I'm so dumb to have trusted her." I thought all my decisions over. The fake smile that looked so real, and the genuine voice of Jessica Shang, had tricked me as I fell straight into her trap. " I just don't get how she could've been in two places at once. And how has she been following us?"

"I don't know Ben, I really have no clue. I'm just as lost as you are."

"Well, maybe Jessica has someone on the inside?" I suggested.

"I think that's our best guess for now."

We stayed silent for a while. Erica started fidgeting with her fingers. But she's never nervous. I sensed something was off. Something had been off since the start of this mission.

"Erica? You good."

"Uh-huh, just that... never mind." Erica replied.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing, just..." she quickly changed the topic, "Shh, you hear that?"

"No." I replied.

"SHH. Listen closely," she whispered. "They are coming near us."

I stayed quiet, until about a minute after she heard something, I heard it too. Faint footsteps. Almost as quiet as silence itself. I didn't know how she heard that, but they were getting louder.

"They're coming. Fake sleep, now." Erica stated.

I relaxed my body completely and acted as though I had been knocked out cold. I steadied my breathing and waited as I heard a large metal door swing open.

"You can stop acting. I know you're awake." I heard Jessica's cold, cocky voice; so different from the nice girl I knew earlier.

Erica and I sat up with our wrists tied and stinging.

"Ow," I mumbled.

"You all are pathetic," Jessica said with pity. " I really am sorry for you, not all of you can be as great as me. Anyways where was I, oh yes, BRING IN THE KNIVES."