Part 13

Over the course of the next few weeks you fell into a routine with Niall living at yours. The contract for the shopping centre was going through and along with that you and your team were assisting with a contract for a health spa renovation. It was a busy time and as the end of August fell into the beginning of September Niall's birthday was fast approaching. The atmosphere at work was good considering that the court case was looming over everyone's heads.

"Is that everything babe?" Niall asked as you locked up your flat on a sunny Saturday morning.

"Yes. You just had that one leather overnight bag right?"

"Yeah, I've got my wallet and phone in my pocket."

"Right, let's get going then." You replied as you made your way to Niall's Audi.

You were off to your parents for the weekend. They lived just under two hours away by car. Since your conversation with your Mum about getting back together with Niall she had messaged at least 4 times asking when you would be visiting with him. So with this being a free weekend for you both and your family you had decided to make the journey up to see them.

Niall looked up and down the street before he opened his door and got into the drivers seat. He checked his mirrors twice, three times you noticed before he locked the door and put his wallet and phone in the centre console.

"You ok?" You questioned him. "I can drive if you're not comfortable with it."

"What?" He replied looking surprised that you'd noticed his anxiety. "No, I'm fine."

You weren't convinced, but you didn't push him instead you buckled your seat belts and got some music and the sat nav sorted. Pulling out of your street you could see Niall check his mirrors again before looking down at his petrol gauge.

"Think I'll call in and get some petrol on the way." He said.

"Are you sure? You have enough to get there and it'll be cheaper there than the city."

"No I'll do it now, saves me having to do it later."

"Ok." You replied wondering why he was so concerned about it.

You decided to listen to Radio One as they were playing some anthems and you began reminiscing about the song that was on and how it was a classic when you were at University. Niall however seemed tense still and you wondered if it was because you were staying with your parents for the evening. You would also be seeing your brothers and their families.

"Are you nervous about seeing my family Ni?"

"No, why would I be?" He replied looking a bit baffled at your words.

"You just seem a bit on edge."

"Darlin, I'm fine." He replied smiling and moving one of his hands over to squeeze your thigh.

His hand went back on the wheel as you drove through the city. He passed two petrol stations but you didn't say anything, he was behaving really strangely. He had been fine at home this morning, his usual gorgeous and attentive self. Hopefully he would open up about what was bothering him on the journey. Ten minutes later and he finally pulled into a petrol station.

He pulled into a bay, turning off his engine and undoing his seatbelt. Instead of getting out the car he sat for a few moments looking in his rear view mirror.

"Right what the actual fuck is wrong?" You asked him getting annoyed at his behaviour.

He looked at you knowing that he needed to tell you what was bothering him.

"Calvin has been following us since we left the flat. He has been sat behind us in his car for the last 20 minutes." He admitted as he reached across and held your hand.