Part 15

The shops not far from your office were quiet now that the summer holidays were over and people had enjoyed a summer break. Everyone was back at work and kids were back at school. You'd snuck out for an early lunch, avoiding Niall's eye as you left the office at barely noon. You knew he had been looking in your direction from across the office as you left. 

But you had been avoiding work this morning and had been browsing the internet for a gift for him. You'd found a gorgeous watch in a jewellers that you knew had a store just a ten minute walk from work. A quick call to the store and they confirmed they had the watch in stock.

You made it there and back via the deli in 40 minutes. You'd have to eat while working, you had hardly done a thing this morning. Procrastinating had the been the name of the game. Emails had barely been touched and your mind had wandered between thoughts of Niall, his birthday and possible time away and the impending court case with Calvin. 

Niall knocked on your door not even 5 minutes after you'd sat down at your desk.

"Come in." You said after you made sure the gift was tucked away in your handbag and couldn't be seen.

"Hey." He asked curiously.

"Hi Ni, you ok?"

"Yeah, where did you sneak off to?!" He questioned.

"That's for me to know and you to find out!" You smiled.

 "Ah ok." He said seeming to click on that it may be something to do with his birthday. 

 "Did you need me for something?" You asked him as you opened the wrapper of your sandwich.

 "A kiss."

 "Yeah? Well I'm sure I can manage that." You giggled as he leaned over and kissed you.

 "Oh and Michael and Gerry said yes to having some time off." He smiled as he sat down in the chair opposite you.

 "What dates?!" You said excitedly.

 "The Friday the 11th through to Tuesday 15th so back to work on the Wednesday. For both of us."

 "Both of us?!"

 "Yep, said that everything is under control and they can spare us for a couple of extra days. Said to take another long weekend after the trial if we needed it to."

"Do they have a date for that now?" You asked shocked that it had come through so soon.

"Monday 28th."

"Of September?!"

"Yeah, Michael got a call this morning."

"Shit."

"Don't worry ok?"

"No, I'm ok. Just shocked it's come through so quick. I mean I wanted this over and done with but....... "

"You thought it would be ages away?"

"Yeah, I did."

"Do you still want to go away?" He asked you nervously.

 "Yeah, of course."

 "Shall we look later tonight at home?"

 You smiled then. Home.

 "What are you smiling like that for?!" 

 "Just like the way you called it home." You replied.

 "Well I've hardly been at mine! Yours does feel like home."

 "Do you want to maybe...... "

There was a knock at the door. Niall looked annoyed like he knew what you were going to say, like he'd been waiting for you to bring it up.