Part 16

The drive to the Peak District was three and a half hours and Niall had insisted he would take the wheel for the entire journey. It didn't bother you one bit, it meant you could sit and stare at him as much as you wanted. He was looking particularly gorgeous today dressed in blue shorts and a white Eagles t-shirt.

Your mind was flooded with thoughts about that Sunday after Rachel and Ben's wedding where you'd both agreed to not put any pressure on yourselves in this relationship. You smirked at the thought. 

 "What's got you smirking over there?!" Niall smiled as he drove along the motorway.

 "Just thinking about us." You smiled back.

 "Us?" He quizzed you back, clearly desperate to know your thoughts.

 "Remember the morning after the wedding?" You asked him.

 "When we had amazing sex?! Yeah I remember that!"

 You giggled at his admission. "That wasn't what I was thinking about, I mean I'm thinking about it now!"

 "What were you smirking about then?" He asked. 

 "Just our conversation at mine, how we wouldn't put any pressure on this and that we would take it slow...."

 "Yeah that didn't even last a day did it?!"

 "Nope!"

 It was silent in the car for a few minutes and you wondered what he was thinking about.

 "You know I told Rachel on the phone the night after your first day in the office that I didn't think anything should happen between us." You admitted.

 He looked across at you, his mouth slightly ajar in shock.

 "You did?" He said shakily.

 "Yeah, she asked me if I thought anything would happen between us and I said no because you were my boss now and I didn't think it should."

 He was quiet and you could just hear the thoughts running through his mind.

 "I'm assuming you don't think this is a mistake now?!" He said lightly.

 "No, of course not. I was just laughing to myself about how I thought I could have you back in my life and us just be friends."

 "We can never just be friends. As soon as I saw you in the foyer of Gables I knew right then that I needed to get you back."

 "Yeah?" You asked quietly.

 "It's why I asked you on the phone if you were single."

 "I thought you were just making conversation..... "

 He laughed knowing full well you were lying with your words.

"You make me feel complete, you know that? I never got over us after we ended things." He said quietly.

***9 years ago***

 "Yeah, that sounds great...........yes I'll have a look at dates that fit around my classes and get back to you.........That's great.......Thank you.......yes you to......bye.."

 Niall placed his phone down on his desk and turned to you.

"That was A.R.E the architecture firm. They want to talk to me about a job after I graduate. Said Professor Radcliffe had forwarded them some of my work and a recommendation." 

"Oh my god really?! That's amazing!"

"They're based on Dublin." Niall said his voice quiet, almost a whisper.